EM: B field at boundary with different permeabilities

In summary, the question involves calculating the magnitude and direction of the B field at the interface between two materials with different relative permeabilities. The lower material has a permeability of 8 and a B field directed towards the origin at 10 degrees to the z-axis. The upper material has a relative permeability of 5 and the B field's magnitude is expected to increase by a factor of 1.6 at the interface. The correct approach involves using a boundary condition that deals with the tangential component of B.
Darren93
Hey this isn't so much a homework problem but one I have just had an exam over. I have absolutely no idea how to calculate it and in all past papers/tutorial questions and the notes, makes no mention of the sort of problem. I'm not bothered over the exact answer, just how you go about it.

Homework Statement

Question: An interface between two materials, of relative permeability 5 and 8 respectively, lies in the xy plane. In the lower material (z lower or equal to 0, permeability 8) a B field is in the xy plane directed towards the origin at 10 degrees to the z-axis.
Calculate the magnitude and direction of the B field in the upper medium.

2. The attempt at a solution
The previous question leads you to the fact that at a boundary perpendicular B field is constant. So i guessed you had to make use of that. I said the perpendicular component is =lBlcos(10). Thus I said the z competent in the top material is also this. I then had no idea how to go about the rest. For the B field to vary change in permeability must vary this. So I said magnitude of B in top half is 8/5 larger than below. I then came up with an expression for magnitude of B field in the x-y plane in the top that along with the known z corresponds to 8/5 the magnitude of B. Then I calculated angle between this and the z component.

Does any of that sound correct, I had no idea the effect of change in permeability at boundary and guessed it increased by a factor of 1.6. I would be amazed if that was correct. The entire question is just terrible if you ask me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darren93 said:
Question: ...a B field is in the xy plane directed towards the origin at 10 degrees to the z-axis.

Did you mean to write xz plane or maybe yz plane here?

You treated the normal component of B correctly, but the way you treated the magnitude of B is not correct.
There is another boundary condition that deals with the tangential component of B that you can use.

1. What is an EM field?

An EM (electromagnetic) field is a type of physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It consists of two components: an electric field and a magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other and oscillate in a direction perpendicular to their propagation.

2. What is the B field at a boundary with different permeabilities?

The B field is the magnetic field component of an EM field. At a boundary between two materials with different permeabilities, the B field will change direction and may also change in magnitude. This is due to the different ability of each material to support magnetic fields.

3. How is the B field affected by different permeabilities?

The B field can be affected in two ways by different permeabilities. Firstly, the direction of the B field may change at the boundary between two materials with different permeabilities. Secondly, the magnitude of the B field may also change depending on the permeability of the material it is passing through.

4. What is permeability?

Permeability is a measure of a material's ability to support the formation of a magnetic field. It is a physical property that varies between different materials and can affect the behavior of magnetic fields passing through them.

5. How is the B field at a boundary with different permeabilities calculated?

The B field at a boundary with different permeabilities can be calculated using Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in the presence of charged particles. The calculation will depend on the specific materials and their permeabilities at the boundary.