EM fields and Current between 2 charged cylinders

In summary: There is "thickness" to this current.The setup is not completely clear. Did you quote the complete problem statement exactly as it was given to you?I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Please see attached photos.
Relevant Equations
Ampere's Law
The task is to find the magnetic field between the 2 long cylinders, which extend to infinity. Integration is involved to find the total current passing through the Amperian Loop shown below. What I do not understand is why only sides 1 and 3 contribute to that B ds part of Ampere's Law. Isn't there magnetic field flowing parallel to sides 2 and 4 as well, like how a current in a straight wire creates a circular magnetic field that runs parallel to all sides of a loop around it?

I see this as similar to a straight wire, as there is only an X-component of current. The Y-component cancels out. However, there is "thickness" to this current.
IMG_6730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The setup is not completely clear. Did you quote the complete problem statement exactly as it was given to you?

Do you have to find ##\mathbf B## for all points outside the two cylinders?

TSny said:
The setup is not completely clear. Did you quote the complete problem statement exactly as it was given to you?

Do you have to find ##\mathbf B## for all points outside the two cylinders?
Apologies for leaving this out:
The 2 cylinders in the image above are immersed in a conducting fluid. They are thus effectively joined by a wire (which the current runs through), so there is no B-field outside of that region.

If it is still unclear:
Attached below is the full problem. I am only asking about the last part (8). However, I think you would still have to read through the above parts to understand the context; apologies that my summary was unclear.

IMG_6732.jpg

Thanks for your help.

OK. Thanks for posting the entire problem statement.

Regarding your specific question about sides 2 and 4 of the Amperian path: First, consider any straight line parallel to the z-axis and lying outside the two cylinders. Let ##a## and ##b## be any two points on this line. Can you deduce anything about how the magnetic fields at these two points compare?

TSny said:
OK. Thanks for posting the entire problem statement.

Regarding your specific question about sides 2 and 4 of the Amperian path: First, consider any straight line parallel to the z-axis and lying outside the two cylinders. Let ##a## and ##b## be any two points on this line. Can you deduce anything about how the magnetic fields at these two points compare?
The magnetic field there would only be in the z direction? But shouldn’t we be considering points lying on lines parallel to the y-axes, which is where paths 2 and 4 run parallel to?

Since you know sides 2 and 4 of the loop are being ignored, I'm guessing that you have an official solution, If so, maybe it would help if you included it.

At what point(s)/region(s) are you finding the magnetic field? Or are you being asked for a general expression for ##\vec B (x,y,z)##? This is not clear from the question but if you have an official solution,it should be possible to tell.

phantomvommand said:
The magnetic field there would only be in the z direction?
No. The field will not be in the ##z##-direction. [EDIT: This is incorrect. ##\mathbf B## is in the positive or negative z-direction, except on the x-axis where B = 0.]

But if the cylinders are considered to be essentially infinitely long, you can say something about how the magnetic field varies as you move only in the ##z##-direction. That is, does ##\mathbf B## depend on ##z##? If so, how?

You should also be able to deduce from symmetry whether or not ##\mathbf B## has a non-zero ##z##- component.

But shouldn’t we be considering points lying on lines parallel to the y-axes, which is where paths 2 and 4 run parallel to?
If you figure out how ##\mathbf B## depends on ##z##, then consider a line parallel to the ##z##-axis that passes through some point ##a## of path 2 and, therefore, also passes through some point ##b## of path 4. How does ##\mathbf B## compare for points ##a## and ##b##? What does this tell you about how the line integral of ##\mathbf B## for path 2 compares to the line integral of ##\mathbf B## for path 4?

Last edited:
Steve4Physics said:
Since you know sides 2 and 4 of the loop are being ignored, I'm guessing that you have an official solution, If so, maybe it would help if you included it.

At what point(s)/region(s) are you finding the magnetic field? Or are you being asked for a general expression for ##\vec B (x,y,z)##? This is not clear from the question but if you have an official solution,it should be possible to tell.
161913C0-7752-4152-AF9E-71AB88E8A168.jpeg

It appears to me that there is only a Z-component of the B field, (See Eqn 30-31) but I am unclear why there is no Y-component along paths 2 and 4. The reason why ##J_x## = <that integral> is a result obtained from previous parts. I am mainly asking about the last line, when ##B \dot l ## was replaced with ##2B_zl## directly, ignoring a possible ##B_yl## along paths 2 and 4.

TSny said:
No. The field will not be in the ##z##-direction.

But if the cylinders are considered to be essentially infinitely long, you can say something about how the magnetic field varies as you move only in the ##z##-direction. That is, does ##\mathbf B## depend on ##z##? If so, how?

You should also be able to deduce from symmetry whether or not ##\mathbf B## has a non-zero ##z##- component.

If you figure out how ##\mathbf B## depends on ##z##, then consider a line parallel to the ##z##-axis that passes through some point ##a## of path 2 and, therefore, also passes through some point ##b## of path 4. How does ##\mathbf B## compare for points ##a## and ##b##? What does this tell you about how the line integral of ##\mathbf B## for path 2 compares to the line integral of ##\mathbf B## for path 4?
Please see my above reply to Steve4Physics, it could be helpful. Because of symmetry, the Magnetic field in the Z direction along path 1 = Magnetic field in the Z direction along path 3. Furthermore, along Path 1/3, ##B_z## is constant as the wires are infinitely long.

it seems to me that the magnetic field through paths 2 and 4 are also entirely in the z direction, so B dot dz = 0.

Yes, you are right. I was mistaken in how I was thinking about the z-component of ##\mathbf B##. I believe ##B_z## will be positive for positive values of ##y## and ##B_z## will be negative for negative values of ##y##.

But here's how I was thinking about how to show that the line integrals of B for sides 2 and 4 cancel. Since the cylinders are infinitely long, the B-field cannot depend on the coordinate ##z##. So, if you consider a point ##a## on side 2 and the corresponding point ##b## on side 4 that lies vertically below ##a##, then ##\mathbf B## at points ##a## and ##b## are the same. So, the line integrals along 2 and 4 will be equal in magnitude. But they will have opposite signs because the directions of integration are opposite for the two sides.

Of course, if ##\mathbf B## is parallel to the z-axis everywhere, then, as you say, the line integrals for 2 and 4 are each equal to zero. This would be the easy way to see that sides 2 and 4 don't contribute.

Last edited:
Likes phantomvommand
phantomvommand said:
It appears to me that there is only a Z-component of the B field, (See Eqn 30-31) but I am unclear why there is no Y-component along paths 2 and 4.
You can use the Biot-Savart law to show that ##B_x = 0## and ##B_y = 0## at all points.

Consider an arbitrary point ##p## where you want to calculate ##\mathbf B##.

1621091272479.png

Consider the contribution to ##\mathbf B## at ##p## due to the current density at symmetrically placed points ##a## and ##b##, as shown. Use the Biot-Savart law to show that the net x and y components of ##\mathbf B## at point ##p## due to these two current densities is zero.

Likes phantomvommand and Delta2

1. What is an EM field?

An EM field, or electromagnetic field, is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles. It consists of both an electric field and a magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other and oscillate in a wave-like pattern.

2. How are EM fields created between 2 charged cylinders?

EM fields are created between 2 charged cylinders when there is a difference in charge between the two cylinders. This creates an electric field between the cylinders, which in turn creates a magnetic field. The strength of the EM field is determined by the magnitude of the charges on the cylinders and the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between EM fields and current?

EM fields and current are closely related. When there is a changing magnetic field, it induces an electric field, which in turn can create a current in a conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies, such as generators and transformers.

4. How does the distance between 2 charged cylinders affect the EM field and current?

The distance between 2 charged cylinders can greatly affect the strength of the EM field and the current that is produced. As the distance between the cylinders increases, the strength of the EM field decreases, resulting in a decrease in the induced current. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance.

5. How are EM fields and current used in everyday life?

EM fields and current have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in electronics, such as computers and cell phones, as well as in power generation and transmission. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines, and in communication systems, such as radio and television.