EMF due to Lorentz electric and magnetic forces

In summary: I think I understand a bit more now.In summary, emf can be generated by electric forces in certain situations, such as in a cell where internal electrons are pushed by the internal electric field. However, this is not the most common way emf is created and is more complex than other examples. In other cases, such as motional emf and transformer emf, the separation of charges is caused by different forces, such as the force of (v x B)q or E_NCq. These forces can be related to the time varying magnetic fields according to the Maxwell-Faraday equation.
songoku
Homework Statement
This is not homework.

I want to understand the difference between emf generated due to Lorentz electric and magnetic force.
Relevant Equations
F = E.q

F = Bqv sin θ

##E=-N \frac{d\phi}{dt}##

Φ = BA cos θ
1631515134909.png

Example of emf due to Lorentz magnetic force is motional emf. When rod PQ moves to the left, there will be downwards magnetic force acting on the positive charge in the rod PQ so point Q is at higher potential compared to point P so there will be potential difference (emf) between P and Q

The formula of Lorentz electric force is F = Eq. But I don't understand how this force can create emf. What is the example of emf generated due to Lorenzt electric force?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
The formula of Lorentz electric force is F = Eq. But I don't understand how this force can create emf. What is the example of emf generated due to Lorenzt electric force?
Hi @songoku.

We don’t usually think of an emf being produced by an electric force. It is more common to deal with the reverse situation - where an emf produces an electric force (e.g. a cell pushing electrons through a lamp).

However, one example is this:

A cell has an emf. In principle, inside the cell, we can think of internal electrons being pushed by the cell’s internal electric field (existing between atoms/ions). The electric force (F=qE) act on the electrons inside the cell. This force piles the electrons onto the cell’s negative terminal and pulls electrons from the cell’s positive terminal. That’s how the cell’s emf is created by the internal electric force.

Not a good example, because what happens inside a cell is much more complex. Maybe someone will have a better example.

Note:
An energy supply is needed to create an emf.
For the cell, the energy supply is in the chemicals.
For a ‘dynamo’, the energy supply is whatever is doing work, pushing the moving parts.

Likes songoku
Whether we have motional EMF or transformer EMF it is due to separation of charges in the two ends. The cause of this separation of charges is different in the two cases:
  • In motional EMF the cause of separation of charges is the force ##(v\times B)q##
  • In transformer EMF the cause of separation of charges is the force ##E_{NC}q## where ##E_{NC}## the non conservative component of the electric field that is produced by the time varying magnetic field according to the Maxwell-Faraday equation :$$\nabla\times E_{NC}=-\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}$$

Likes songoku
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @songoku.

We don’t usually think of an emf being produced by an electric force. It is more common to deal with the reverse situation - where an emf produces an electric force (e.g. a cell pushing electrons through a lamp).

However, one example is this:

A cell has an emf. In principle, inside the cell, we can think of internal electrons being pushed by the cell’s internal electric field (existing between atoms/ions). The electric force (F=qE) act on the electrons inside the cell. This force piles the electrons onto the cell’s negative terminal and pulls electrons from the cell’s positive terminal. That’s how the cell’s emf is created by the internal electric force.

Not a good example, because what happens inside a cell is much more complex. Maybe someone will have a better example.

Note:
An energy supply is needed to create an emf.
For the cell, the energy supply is in the chemicals.
For a ‘dynamo’, the energy supply is whatever is doing work, pushing the moving parts.
Hi Steve

I kinda get your example. Actually in my mind I have other question. I always relate emf produced to change in Φ (based on Faraday law) so it is hard for me to understand the relation of electric force and ΔΦ / Δt. Maybe my current knowledge is not enough to understand it in deeper level

Delta2 said:
Whether we have motional EMF or transformer EMF it is due to separation of charges in the two ends. The cause of this separation of charges is different in the two cases:
  • In motional EMF the cause of separation of charges is the force ##(v\times B)q##
  • In transformer EMF the cause of separation of charges is the force ##E_{NC}q## where ##E_{NC}## the non conservative component of the electric field that is produced by the time varying magnetic field according to the Maxwell-Faraday equation :$$\nabla\times E_{NC}=-\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}$$
With this post, it is certain that my knowledge is not sufficient 😅

What I know about transformer is only the emf produced in secondary coil is due to the secondary coil cuts the time varying magnetic field produced by primary coil because of time varying current flowing through it. I never even heard about non conservative component of electric field

Thank you very much for the help and explanation Steve4Physics and Delta2

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is a type of physical force that is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles.

What are Lorentz electric and magnetic forces?

Lorentz electric and magnetic forces are two components of the electromagnetic force that act on charged particles in the presence of an electric and magnetic field, respectively. These forces are named after the physicist Hendrik Lorentz who first described them.

How do Lorentz electric and magnetic forces cause EMF?

Lorentz electric and magnetic forces cause EMF by exerting a force on charged particles, causing them to move and generate an electric current. This current then creates a magnetic field, which in turn can generate an electric field, resulting in a self-sustaining cycle of electromagnetic forces.

What are some examples of EMF due to Lorentz electric and magnetic forces?

Some examples of EMF due to Lorentz electric and magnetic forces include the production of electricity in power plants, the operation of electric motors, and the generation of radio waves in antennas.

How can EMF due to Lorentz electric and magnetic forces be harmful?

Exposure to high levels of EMF due to Lorentz electric and magnetic forces has been linked to potential health risks, such as increased risk of cancer, neurological disorders, and reproductive issues. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential effects of EMF on human health.