Emf in a circuit (multiple choice question)

In summary, the student is trying to solve a math problem and is not understanding why the correct answer is C.
EF17xx

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.55.52.png

Correct answer is

Homework Equations

emf = I(R + r)

The Attempt at a Solution

When current flows the voltage across the battery is less than the emf so it's not A
I really don't understand why the answer is C because B, C, D all seem correct to me.
Please help me with this question

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.55.52.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.55.52.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you compute the thermal energy dissipated in the battery? How do you compute the chemical energy transformed in the battery? How do you compute the energy dissipated in the resistor?

Orodruin said:
How do you compute the thermal energy dissipated in the battery? How do you compute the chemical energy transformed in the battery? How do you compute the energy dissipated in the resistor?

I'm not sure because my textbook does not explain this.

EF17xx said:
I'm not sure because my textbook does not explain this.
I do not believe that. It is a basic thing that is explained in virtually every textbook on electric circuits.

What is the power dissipated in a resistor?

I know that chemical energy established the current and is transformed into thermal energy as current heats wire.

P= I^2R
P= VI
P = V^2/R

So what is the difference between power dissipated and chemical energy and thermal energy in battery and resistor?

The chemical energy transformed is the amount of chemical energy from the battery that is discharged. The power dissipated as thermal energy is the amount of electric energy that is dissipated as heat from the battery. Those are not the same things, if the internal resistance of the battery would be zero no heat would be dissipated from it.

EF17xx said:
P= VI
So use this one. What is the relation between dissipated power and total dissipated energy?

Are they the same?

Sorry, I'm confused,

The correct answer is answer C, it might help if you could explain why.

EF17xx said:
Are they the same?
No, power and energy are not the same things and are not measured in the same units.

EF17xx said:
The correct answer is answer C, it might help if you could explain why.
Yes, I know that, but giving away answers is not how PF works. You will learn a lot more if you get to do the thought process yourself with some guidance.

ok
Power is Energy per time
Energy is measured in Joules and 1 Joule is work done to move 1 kg 1 m.
Voltage is work done to move a charge. V=W/q

So is it answer C because not all of the chemical energy is transformed into thermal?
Therefore it can't be 6 Joules but chemical energy is 6 Joules?

EF17xx said:
So is it answer C because not all of the chemical energy is transformed into thermal?
No. All of the energy is dissipated as thermal energy. You have moved 1 C across a voltage of 6 V and so clearly the energy conversion is 6 J.

The question is where the thermal energy is dissipated. For example, how much energy is dissipated through the resistor?

What is EMF in a circuit?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the potential difference or voltage that drives the flow of electric current in a circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for EMF?

The unit of measurement for EMF is volts (V).

How is EMF different from voltage?

EMF is the total energy generated by a source, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

What factors affect the magnitude of EMF in a circuit?

The magnitude of EMF in a circuit can be affected by the type of energy source, the number of turns in the circuit, and the strength of the magnetic field.

How can EMF be calculated in a circuit?

EMF can be calculated by multiplying the current in the circuit by the resistance of the circuit.