EMF produced by generator of a car

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the output voltage of a car generator at different rotation speeds. The initial attempt to solve the question using a ratio resulted in an incorrect answer. The conversation then explores using the entire formula for emf, but notes that the value of time is unknown. It is suggested that the emf is not a function of time and the ratio to be calculated is actually the rms values of the emf. The conversation concludes with a better understanding of the problem and appreciation for the assistance provided.
songoku
Homework Statement
The generator of a car idling at 1100 rpm produces 12.7 V. What will the output be at a rotation speed of 2500 rpm, assuming nothing else changes?
Relevant Equations
ε = N B A ω sin ωt
First I assumed the question asks about max e.m.f so I just used ratio:

output voltage = (2500 / 1100) x 12.7 = 28.9 V, but the answer is wrong.

Then I tried to use the ratio of the whole formula:
$$\frac{\varepsilon_{1}}{\varepsilon_{2}}=\frac{NBA \omega_{1} \sin(\omega_{1}t)}{NBA \omega_{2} \sin(\omega_{2}t)}$$

But I can't calculate because I don't know the value of ##t##.

What is the approach to solve this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume 12.7 V is the peak voltage

Likes songoku
Gordianus said:
Assume 12.7 V is the peak voltage
I did and this is my attempt:

songoku said:

But the answer is wrong. Maybe I need to take something else into consideration?

Thanks

You don't say what the right answer is. Perhaps it's a tricky question and you're supposed to know the voltage regulator keeps the output voltage constant at 12.7 V, regardless the rpms.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: The generator of a car idling at 1100 rpm produces 12.7 V. What will the output be at a rotation speed of 2500 rpm, assuming nothing else changes?
Relevant Equations:: ε = N B A ω sin ωt

I believe your answer of 28.9V is correct. Sometimes 'official' answers are wrong. It happens occasionally.

(I'm assuming you have given the complete question, so that, for example, 12.7V and 28.9V are both rms values or both peak values.)

songoku said:
Then I tried to use the ratio of the whole formula:$$\frac{\varepsilon_{1}}{\varepsilon_{2}}=\frac{NBA \omega_{1} \sin(\omega_{1}t)}{NBA \omega_{2} \sin(\omega_{2}t)}$$But I can't calculate because I don't know the value of ##t##.
##\varepsilon_1## and ##\varepsilon_2## are rms (or peak) values . They aare not functions of time. So you can replace each of the two sine terms by a single number.

{Minor edits made.]

Likes songoku
Gordianus said:
You don't say what the right answer is. Perhaps it's a tricky question and you're supposed to know the voltage regulator keeps the output voltage constant at 12.7 V, regardless the rpms.
I also don't know what the right answer is. The question is just like that, no other information, no other sentences and no diagram given

Steve4Physics said:
I believe your answer of 28.9V is correct. Sometimes 'official' answers are wrong. It happens occasionally.

(I'm assuming you have given the complete question, so that, for example, 12.7V and 28.9V are both rms values or both peak values.)
Yes I have given the whole question

Steve4Physics said:
##\varepsilon_1## and ##\varepsilon_2## are rms (or peak) values . They are not functions of time. So you can replace each of the two sine terms by a single number.

{Minor edits made.]
Sorry I don't understand why ##\varepsilon## is not a function of time. From the graph of ##\varepsilon## and also the equation, wouldn't ##\varepsilon## changes with respect to time?

Thanks

songoku said:
Sorry I don't understand why ##\varepsilon## is not a function of time. From the graph of ##\varepsilon## and also the equation, wouldn't ##\varepsilon## changes with respect to time?
Emf is a function of time: ##\varepsilon (t) =NBA \omega \sin {(\omega t)}##.

Note the key values of emf during a cycle:
Minimum value = ##-NBA \omega##
Maximum (peak) value = ##+NBA \omega##
Average value = zero.
Rms average value ##\varepsilon_{rms} =\frac {NBA \omega}{\sqrt 2}##
None of these values are functions of time.

When you are told that the emf is 12.7V this is probably the rms value. Make sure you understand what an rms value means.

The ratio you are trying to calculate is in fact: ##\frac {\varepsilon_{2, rms}}{\varepsilon_{1, rms}}##. This is not a function of time.

Likes songoku
Steve4Physics said:
Emf is a function of time: ##\varepsilon (t) =NBA \omega \sin {(\omega t)}##.

Note the key values of emf during a cycle:
Minimum value = ##-NBA \omega##
Maximum (peak) value = ##+NBA \omega##
Average value = zero.
Rms average value ##\varepsilon_{rms} =\frac {NBA \omega}{\sqrt 2}##
None of these values are functions of time.

When you are told that the emf is 12.7V this is probably the rms value. Make sure you understand what an rms value means.

The ratio you are trying to calculate is in fact: ##\frac {\varepsilon_{2, rms}}{\varepsilon_{1, rms}}##. This is not a function of time.
Ah ok I understand

Thank you very much for the help and explanation Gordianus and Steve4Physics

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is EMF and how is it produced by a car generator?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field, which is a type of energy that is produced by the movement of electrically charged particles. In a car generator, the movement of the rotor and stator creates a magnetic field that induces an electric current, producing EMF.

2. Is EMF produced by a car generator harmful to human health?

The EMF produced by a car generator is considered to be low frequency and low intensity, and therefore is not considered to be harmful to human health. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF may have potential health risks.

3. How does the distance from the car generator affect the strength of EMF?

The strength of EMF decreases as the distance from the car generator increases. This is because the magnetic field produced by the generator weakens as it spreads out, resulting in lower levels of EMF further away from the source.

4. Can EMF from a car generator interfere with electronic devices?

Yes, the EMF produced by a car generator can interfere with electronic devices, especially those that are sensitive to electromagnetic fields. This is why it is recommended to keep electronic devices away from the car generator while the engine is running.

5. How can I reduce my exposure to EMF from a car generator?

To reduce your exposure to EMF from a car generator, you can limit the amount of time you spend near the engine while it is running, keep electronic devices away from the generator, and ensure that the car's electrical system is properly maintained to minimize EMF emissions.