Emission from a coated cathode and tunneling

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thermionic emission and how it can be increased by coating a tungsten cathode with a suitable substance. The question asks which two properties of the coating maximize tunneling, to which the answer is that the coating should be thin compared to the wavelength of the electrons and have a lower work function than tungsten. The conversation then discusses the shape of the energy barrier in an energy diagram and the possibility of using a coating to lower the work function. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on what type of coating could achieve this.
Orthoceras
TL;DR Summary
What does the energy diagram of a coated cathode with tunneling look like?
I am wondering about an exercise exam question (it isn't homework): "at low temperatures (<2000 K), thermionic emission of a tungsten cathode depends on tunneling. By coating the tungsten with a suitable substance, the emission by tunneling can be greatly increased. Question: which two properties of the coating maximise the tunneling? Answer: the coating should be thin compared to the wavelength of the electrons, and the work function of the coating should be less than the work function of tungsten."

This exercise doesn't require the student to explain this further. However, I am curious about the shape of the barrier in an energy diagram. Below see my attempt in which the electron is tunneling through a vacuum barrier towards a positive anode. This attempt isn't very satisfactory. The exam answer seems to suggest the coating itself requires tunneling, so the coating seems to be an insulator, whereas in my diagram the coating is a conductor with a reduced work function. What should the energy diagram really look like?
tungsten1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of what type of coating that may lower the work function at the surface. This means that the tunneling barrier is lowered.

if you need an analogous reference, look at negative electron affinity photocathode.

Zz.

I do not know what type of coating may lower the work function at the surface. Another metal?
I suppose you mean my question is unclear and it has no straight answer?

1. What is emission from a coated cathode and tunneling?

Emission from a coated cathode and tunneling is a phenomenon in which electrons are released from a cathode that has been coated with a thin layer of material, and then travel through a barrier or potential barrier, known as the tunneling effect.

2. How does emission from a coated cathode occur?

Emission from a coated cathode occurs when a high enough voltage is applied to the cathode, causing electrons to be released from the surface. These electrons then tunnel through the potential barrier, reaching the anode and creating a current.

3. What are the applications of emission from a coated cathode and tunneling?

Emission from a coated cathode and tunneling has many practical applications, including in vacuum tubes, electron microscopes, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also used in particle accelerators, where it helps to generate high-energy particles.

4. What factors affect emission from a coated cathode and tunneling?

Several factors can affect emission from a coated cathode and tunneling, including the material used for coating the cathode, the thickness of the coating, and the voltage applied to the cathode. The temperature of the cathode can also play a role in the emission process.

5. How is emission from a coated cathode and tunneling related to quantum mechanics?

Emission from a coated cathode and tunneling is closely related to the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of wave-particle duality. The tunneling effect, in which particles can pass through a potential barrier, is a manifestation of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.