Emission of infra red from hot bodies

In summary, shiny silver surfaces are poorer emitters of infra red compared to matt black surfaces, even when heated to the same temperature. This is due to the conservation of energy and Kirchhoff's law, which states that absorptivity and emissivity are equal for opaque materials. The reflectivity of shiny silver surfaces results in a lower emissivity, meaning they emit less infra red radiation and cool down more slowly compared to matt black surfaces.
DGriffiths
I've seen much mention in websites of matt black surfaces being better emitters of infra red than shiny silver ones so if a matt black and shiny silver surface are heated to about 100 deg C the black one will cool down more quickly as a result of this! Doesn't Wien's law state that the amount of I.R. emitted by a hot body is only dependent on the temperature??

My question is then why is a shiny silver surface a much poorer emitter than a matt black one?

Physics news on Phys.org
DGriffiths said:
<snip>

My question is then why is a shiny silver surface a much poorer emitter than a matt black one?

Because of the conservation of energy: absorptivity + reflectivity + transmissivity = 1. For an opaque material, transmissivity = 0. Also, absorptivity = emissivity (Kirchoff's law), so emissivity = 1 - reflectivity. More reflectivity = less emissivity.

Yep. The key to understanding this is to understand Kirchhoff's law equating absorptivity to emissivity. Imagine two people of different size sitting by a camp fire. Who heats up the quickest, and who stays hot the longest?

DGriffiths said:
I'Doesn't Wien's law state that the amount of I.R. emitted by a hot body is only dependent on the temperature??
No Wien's law says that the peak position of the blackbody curve only depends on temperature

Thanks very much for all replies - I'd only heard of Kirchoff in respect to electrical circuits.

I get the "emissivity = 1 - reflectivity. More reflectivity = less emissivity." if that's what the law says but I still don't get why? Is there any mental picture (even if not totally accurate) that may help. I can see that the bending of molecules (due to the fact that charged particles are being accelerated) can result in the emission of e.m radiation in the infra red region but I still have no model of what is going on at the surface of a shiny metal that results in the emission of i.r. and also why it is so poor at doing so.

I appreciate I may be wanting a handwavy classical model that is not appropriate for a quantum mechanical concept but if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Andy was right in pointing you to conservation of energy. Consider a silver ball and a black ball illuminated by the same heat source. They should come to the same temperature. But the silver ball reflects most of the light falling on it while the black ball absorbs the light. Therefore to shed the same amount of heat at the same temperature, the black ball must have a much higher emissivity.

Related to Emission of infra red from hot bodies

1. What is infra red radiation emitted from hot bodies?

Infra red radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from hot bodies, such as the sun, fire, and even our own bodies. It has a longer wavelength and lower frequency than visible light, making it invisible to the human eye.

2. How is infra red radiation produced?

Infra red radiation is produced when an object's atoms and molecules vibrate and rotate due to their thermal energy. This vibration and rotation cause the emission of electromagnetic waves, including infra red radiation, which is a form of heat transfer.

3. What are the properties of infra red radiation?

Infra red radiation has several properties, including being able to travel through a vacuum, being absorbed or reflected by certain materials, and being able to penetrate some materials while being blocked by others. It also has the ability to transfer heat without physically touching an object.

4. How is infra red radiation used in everyday life?

Infra red radiation has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in remote controls, thermometers, and night vision goggles. It also plays a crucial role in weather forecasting and satellite imagery.

5. Can infra red radiation be harmful?

While infra red radiation is not harmful in small doses, prolonged exposure to high levels of infra red radiation can cause burns and damage to the skin. Infrared saunas, for example, use high levels of infra red radiation to heat the body and can cause harm if used for extended periods of time.