Empirical verification of massive Chirality

In summary, the left chiral electron and the right chiral electron are different because of different phase shifts in the wavefunction upon rotation. This can be empirically verified by measuring the difference in helicity of the neutrino.
Creator
I want to ask someone here with a good practical background about the intrinsic quantum mechanical chirality (not helicty)...of say, a beta particle...Namely, What is the experimental proof of the existence of two distinct chiralities (not helicities) of the electron? IOWs, how can it be it empirically verified...(without, of course, building a 500 GEV accelerator like CERN ; and seeing how it interacts with the W.)??

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) the right and left CHIRAL electron, for example, has to do with different shifts in the phase of the wavefunction upon rotation, ...but how do we actually effect a rotation and verify that phase shift difference in practice?

Not exactly looking for the theoretics of the standard model, although I'm sure I need the refresher...

I am asking specifically about intrinsic electron chirality differences, in particular,say, the left chiral electron and the right chiral one(anti-positron) and how the differences are empirically verified. IOWs, how do you measure that difference; what chiral property is manifested that can be measured.
Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
You can see the measurement here: http://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.109.1015

This tells you that the neutrino is left-handed, and that it couples to the left-handed chiral component to the electron.

Thanks Vanadiun for the link .

So this is a deduction based upon gamma (left handed) helicity measurements (in electron capture), implying left hand helicity neutrinos, and due to SM theoretics only the left helicity neutrinos can couple to a left chiral electron (component) (through the W), thus we deduce there are left chiral electrons.?? No ?

Creator

--"Procrastination is suicide on the installment plan."--

Last edited:
Yes, although a great deal of "SM theoretics" goes by the name of "conservation of angular momentum".

1. What is empirical verification of massive Chirality?

Empirical verification of massive Chirality is a scientific process used to confirm the existence of massive Chirality, a phenomenon in which a particle's spin is aligned with its momentum. This process involves conducting experiments and collecting data to support the theoretical predictions of massive Chirality.

2. Why is empirical verification important for understanding massive Chirality?

Empirical verification is important because it provides evidence for the existence of massive Chirality and helps scientists better understand its properties and behavior. It also allows for the development of new theories and models to explain this phenomenon.

3. How is empirical verification of massive Chirality conducted?

Empirical verification of massive Chirality is typically conducted through experiments using high-energy particle accelerators. These experiments involve colliding particles at high speeds and analyzing the resulting data to detect the presence of massive Chirality.

4. What are some challenges in empirically verifying massive Chirality?

One of the main challenges in empirically verifying massive Chirality is the complexity of the experiments and the need for advanced technology and equipment. Additionally, the data collected from these experiments can be difficult to interpret and analyze, requiring expertise in theoretical physics.

5. What are the potential implications of empirically verifying massive Chirality?

Empirical verification of massive Chirality has the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It could also have practical applications in areas such as materials science and quantum computing.