Employment Prospects of a BSc in Space Science

In summary, a BSc in space science is a relatively newer degree, and it looks like it may have advantages for employment opportunities. It seems that graduates from this program are finding work in a variety of industries, and most struggle to find work after graduation.
CrunchBerries
Is a BSc in space science regarded as a valid/competitive degree? It looks like a relatively newer degree. I am currently in Space Science, which is a major in Pnysics with a focus on orbital mechanics and space mission management.

Basically I am just looking for an industry outlook/opinion on employment opportunity vs regular phys and eng degrees.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the best ways to assess something like this is to look at graduates from your program. Where are they ending up? Are they all moving on to graduate programs? What industries and companies are they finding work in? What percentage of graduates struggle to find work after graduation? Most departments will keep statistics on these kinds of things.

In my personal experience, it's better not to specialize too much as an undergraduate. What doors are open to you as a graduate of this program that would not be open to a graduate of a typical honours physics program?

Likes DEvens
I agree with Choppy. Since you're mentioning that it is new, then a good follow up approach would be to look at the jobs catching your attention and crosschecking your curriculum with it. I worked at one of the commercial companies that works on space hardware, but my degree was very broad and my breadth seemed really selling during the interview; other coworkers don't seem to have specialized degrees, but I am mostly guessing based on our conversations. Myself and the coworkers I speak of are engineers.

In case you are wondering how to find out where graduates wind up, as Choppy suggested. What you want is _Physics Today_ or some such magazine. They have a feature showing exactly this information. Find out from your university librarian what magazines exist in your particular area of study.

Thanks guys, i alpreciate your input. Ill inquire as suggested.

Thanks a lot!

Likes Choppy

What is a BSc in Space Science?

A BSc in Space Science is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the scientific study of space and the objects within it, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines elements of physics, astronomy, and earth sciences to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the physical and mathematical principles that govern space.

What types of jobs can I get with a BSc in Space Science?

There are a variety of employment prospects for individuals with a BSc in Space Science. Some common job titles include space scientist, research scientist, aerospace engineer, astrophysicist, and data analyst. Additionally, graduates may also find employment in government agencies, private space companies, and educational institutions.

What skills are required for a career in space science?

A career in space science requires a combination of technical and analytical skills. Some essential skills include strong mathematical and physics abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, strong communication and computer skills are also important for data analysis and presentation.

What are the potential salary and job growth opportunities for individuals with a BSc in Space Science?

The salary and job growth opportunities for individuals with a BSc in Space Science can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020, with a projected job growth of 7% from 2019 to 2029. Additionally, with the growing interest in space exploration and technology, there may be increasing opportunities for employment in this field.

Do I need a graduate degree to work in the field of space science?

While a graduate degree can provide additional opportunities for career advancement, it is not always necessary to work in the field of space science. Many entry-level positions can be obtained with a BSc in Space Science, and some employers may even offer opportunities for further education and training while on the job. However, some specialized roles, such as research positions, may require a master's or doctoral degree.