Empty domains and the vacuous truth

In summary, the empty set has no members, so no existential propositions can hold. The logic that "all" implies "at least one" is true in all cases except when dealing with the empty set. Additionally, the statement (∀x∈A)(∃y∈A)((x,y)∈R) will be false if A is the empty set and R is a relation on the empty set. Saying there exists A with property B is the same as saying for some A, the property B holds. Implication in formal logic also plays a role, as ∃x∈A and ∀x∈A have opposite truth values for an arbitrary predicate over an empty domain.
Danijel
So, here's my question. I read somewhere that all universal truths on empty domains are vacuously true, whereas all existential are false. However, if all statements of the form (∀x∈A)(P(x)) , where A is an empty set, are vacuously true, then the statement (∃x∈A)(P(x)) should also be true, because if something holds for all x, then there obviously exists an x for which the statement holds (in fact, it holds for every x). Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Danijel said:
So, here's my question. I read somewhere that all universal truths on empty domains are vacuously true, whereas all existential are false. However, if all statements of the form (∀x∈A)(P(x)) , where A is an empty set, are vacuously true, then the statement (∃x∈A)(P(x)) should also be true, because if something holds for all x, then there obviously exists an x for which the statement holds (in fact, it holds for every x). Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong! The point about the empty set is that it has no members, so no existential proposition can hold.

Your logic that "all" implies "at least one" is true in all cases except when dealing with the empty set.

PS there is only one empty set. You might want to use the existential and universal logic to prove that. You shouldn't really talk about "an" empty set, therefore!

Danijel said:
Yes, you're wrong.
All Marsians have blue eyes is true, because you cannot find a counterexample.
There is a Marsian is already wrong, regardless of which property will follow.
So in order for ##(\exists x\in A)(P(x))## to be true, ##A\neq \emptyset## has first to be true, because it is equivalent to ##A \cap \{x\, : \,P(x)\} \neq \emptyset## so both sets have to be non-empty. ##(\forall x \in A)(P(x))## is equivalent to ##A \subseteq \{x\, : \,P(x)\}## and ##\emptyset \subseteq S## for all sets ##S##, more or less per definition.

Likes FactChecker and PeroK
So, then, should the statement (∀x∈A)(∃y∈A)((x,y)∈R) , where A is the empty set and R a relation on the empty set (hence, empty relation), also be false? Or do we ignore everything that comes after ∀x∈A and consider the part (∃y∈A)((x,y)∈R) as some P(x,y)?

Also, is saying there exists A with property B, the same as, for some A holds the property B?

Danijel said:
So, then, should the statement (∀x∈A)(∃y∈A)((x,y)∈R) , where A is the empty set and R a relation on the empty set (hence, empty relation), also be false?
No. ##(\forall x \in \emptyset\, : \, \text{ false }) \text{ true }##
Or do we ignore everything that comes after ∀x∈A and consider the part (∃y∈A)((x,y)∈R) as some P(x,y)?
Yes.
Danijel said:
Also, is saying there exists A with property B, the same as, for some A holds the property B?
Yes. ##\exists A \in \mathcal{S}\, : \, B \Longleftrightarrow \{S \in \mathcal{S}\, : \,B\} \neq \emptyset##

Thank you.

It might also help to consider that ##\exists x {}Px## is equivalent to ##\neg \forall x {}\neg Px##. Thus ##\exists## and ##\forall## must have opposite truth values for an arbitrary predicate over an empty domain.

fresh_42 said:
Marsians
In English, we write Martians, but not for any reason I understand.

This could be wieved as a consequence of the way understand implication in formal logic: recall that the implication ##P\rightarrow Q## is defined to be true if ##P## is false.

Now, ##(\forall x \in A)\, P(x)## is considered an abbreviation of ##\forall x (x\in A \rightarrow P(x))##. Thus, if ##A=\varnothing##, then ##x\in A## is false for all ##x##, and hence ##x\in A \rightarrow P(x)## is true for all ##x##, which means that ##\forall x (x\in A \rightarrow P(x))## is true, no matter what ##P(x)## stands for.

On the other hand, ##(\exists x \in A)\,P(x)## is considered as an abbreviation of ##\exists x (x \in A \land P(x))##, so if ##A=\varnothing##, then ##x \in A \land P(x)## is false for all ##x##, which means that ##(\exists x \in A)\,P(x)## is false.

So, ##(\exists x \in A)\,P(x)## is not a logical consequence of ##(\forall x \in A)\, P(x)##, since if ##A=\varnothing##, then the latter is true and the former is false.

1. What is an empty domain?

An empty domain refers to a set or collection of elements that contains no members or values. It is essentially a set with no objects in it.

2. What is the vacuous truth?

The vacuous truth is a logical principle that states that a statement is considered to be true if it is made about all elements in an empty domain. In other words, if there are no elements in the domain, then any statement made about those elements is considered to be true.

3. How does the concept of empty domains and vacuous truth apply in mathematics?

In mathematics, empty domains and vacuous truth are often used in logical statements and proofs. For example, in a statement like "For all x in the empty set, x is a prime number," the statement is considered to be true because the premise is not satisfied (there are no elements in the empty set), making the statement vacuously true.

4. Can the vacuous truth be used to prove any statement?

No, the vacuous truth can only be used in certain cases where the premise of the statement is not satisfied due to an empty domain. It cannot be used to prove statements that rely on specific values or elements in a domain.

5. How can understanding empty domains and the vacuous truth impact research and experimentation?

In research and experimentation, understanding the concept of empty domains and the vacuous truth can help in identifying and avoiding potential logical fallacies. It can also aid in constructing valid arguments and drawing accurate conclusions based on the data and evidence collected.