Endurance22 Mission Finds Shackleton's Endurance Wreck: Proof of Preservation?

• Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
In summary: Overall, I think this is a really cool discovery and it's great to see some good news in these trying times.
bob012345
Gold Member
We need a little good news these days so here is some. The Endurance22 mission found and documented the wreck of Shackleton's Endurance which was crushed by pack ice and sank in 1915 in the Weddell Sea. The ship is basically intact and upright and located over 3km deep. If there are any doubters, here is the proof.
image.png
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/...te=1&user_id=8613815b12767bea258c4c4362fd541d

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, here is the website of the Endurance22 exploration mission;

https://endurance22.org/

I find the state of preservation of the ship super cool. I expected it to be well preserved in the artic temperature waters, but even so! I really like how sharp the split timbers on the mast looked.

I know everyone is really worried now that the wreck is going to get raided by treasure hunters, but I do hope that this doesn't end up being the case. I also hope that the ship is left at the bottom of the ocean because there is clearly a lot of cool animal life attached to the wreck and I hope it people respect the animal life and not just the wreck (it would be pretty sad for all those interesting creatures to get killed to see the wreck dredged to the surface).

I find mummification and examples of extreme preservation deeply fascinating. The wreck looks like it could have sunk just yesterday, but it belongs to such a different era!

The whole story & discovery reminded me a bit of the story of the doomed Franklin Expedition in 1845, which was a failed British voyage of actic exploration to traverse the Northwest Passage. In the 1980s the graves of some of the doomed crew were discovered on a remote artic island and in one of the, the astoundingly well preserved remains of crew members John Torrington and John Hartnel were discovered; they was so well preserved that despite being dead for over 150, you can see still the blue irises in their eyes (etc). You can see pictures of their remains in this website as well as footage of the Franklin wreck and its story in this link, there's a lot of interesting forensic science involved studying the unfortunate mens remains as people tried to get to the bottom of what exactly happened to the doomed voyage so long ago (warning: some may find the corpse pictures a little macabre): https://allthatsinteresting.com/john-torrington-franklin-expedition-mummies

Here is some nice video footage of The Endurance too BTW :)

Isopod said:
I know everyone is really worried now that the wreck is going to get raided by treasure hunters, but I do hope that this doesn't end up being the case.
I think that is why the team delayed announcing for several days so no one would know the precise location they were at when they found it since they were giving live location positions.

1. What is the "Wreck of the Endurance Found"?

The "Wreck of the Endurance Found" refers to the discovery of the sunken ship Endurance, which was famously used by Sir Ernest Shackleton during his ill-fated 1914-1916 Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition.

2. When and where was the wreck found?

The wreck of the Endurance was found in December 2019 by a team of scientists and researchers from the Schmidt Ocean Institute. It was located in the Weddell Sea, off the coast of Antarctica.

3. How did the team locate the wreck?

The team used a combination of sonar technology and underwater robots to search for the wreck. They also used historical documents and accounts from Shackleton's expedition to narrow down the search area.

4. What condition is the wreck in?

The wreck of the Endurance is in remarkably good condition, considering it has been underwater for over 100 years. The cold, dark waters of the Weddell Sea have preserved the ship, and it is still largely intact.

5. Why is the discovery of the wreck significant?

The discovery of the Endurance is significant because it provides new insights into Shackleton's expedition and the challenges faced by the crew. It also allows us to study the effects of long-term submersion on materials and the marine environment.