Energy available to a wind turbine, Bern.'s eq

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's need for clarification on Bernoulli's conservation of energy equation as it applies to wind turbines. They mention the different energies involved, such as kinetic, pressure, and potential, and question if they are applying the equation correctly. They also consider the possibility of a pressure differential and how it affects the shape of the airstream. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read up on how aerofoils work and create lift force.
pgunderson
HI folks, new to this forum.I posted this on a different thread, but this seems the better location... it's a conceptual question.

I'm in a Fluid Dynamics class and need to make a presentation on Bernoulli's conservation of energy equation as it applies to wind turbines.

I think I understand the different energies involved here: kinetic(v^2/2), pressure(P/rho), potential(zg)... I want to make sure I am applying the equation right and comprehending the concepts.

It seems to me that in an airstream we've basically only got KE operating for us. The velocity entering the blade assembly is fast, energy is extracted by the turbine, and the air leaving the assembly is then slower.

But someone pointed out to me that if you think about the area really close to the plane of the swept area, there is also a pressure differential.

Is this small enough to be ignored? It seems the problem I'm to use as an example doesn't consider this possibility. The only givens are: steady windspeed of 12 m/s, blade assembly of 50m diameter, and to use air density of 1.25kg/m^3.

I'm to find the mech. energy of air/unit mass (ok) and the power generation potential (ok) and the actual power assuming 30% efficiency (ok).

Is my assumption correct that the only available energy is the KE of the wind's velocity? What happens with turbulence? If there's a pressure differential at some point, can that be causing the airstream to take on a shape that is not similar to a tube with cross-sectional area equivalent to the swept area of the blades? What rules can I apply to ensure that this really is a conservation problem?

Any conceptual help will be very much appreciated!

patti

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you read up on how aerofoils work and how they create a lift force from a pressure difference between the two surfaces. The principle is the same for many types of aerofoil, e.g. aircraft wings, wind turbines, boat sails, etc.

I would like to clarify that Bernoulli's equation is a simplified form of the conservation of energy equation, specifically for incompressible fluids. It states that the total energy in a fluid system remains constant, meaning that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy must remain constant. In the case of a wind turbine, the incoming wind has kinetic energy, which is converted into mechanical energy by the blades, and then into electrical energy by the generator.

In regards to your question about the pressure differential near the plane of the swept area, it is important to note that the pressure differential is a result of the change in the velocity of the air. As the air passes through the blades, it experiences a decrease in velocity and an increase in pressure. This pressure differential is small and can be ignored for most practical purposes, but it is still a factor to consider in the overall energy conversion process.

Turbulence can affect the performance of a wind turbine by causing variations in the wind speed and direction, which can affect the efficiency of the blades. However, the principles of conservation of energy still apply, and the total energy in the system remains constant.

To ensure that this is a conservation problem, you can check if all the energy inputs and outputs are accounted for. In the case of a wind turbine, the energy input is the kinetic energy of the wind, and the energy output is the electrical energy generated. As long as there are no other significant energy losses, the conservation of energy should hold true.

I hope this helps clarify some of your conceptual questions. Good luck with your presentation!

Related to Energy available to a wind turbine, Bern.'s eq

What is the "Energy available to a wind turbine, Bernoulli's equation"?

The energy available to a wind turbine refers to the amount of kinetic energy in the wind that can be converted into mechanical energy by the turbine. Bernoulli's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the velocity and pressure of a fluid, such as air, in motion.

How is Bernoulli's equation used to calculate the energy available to a wind turbine?

Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate the energy available to a wind turbine by considering the velocity of the wind, the cross-sectional area of the turbine blades, and the air density. By plugging these values into the equation, the resulting calculation will provide an estimate of the available energy.

What factors influence the energy available to a wind turbine?

The energy available to a wind turbine is influenced by several factors, including the wind speed, the size and design of the turbine, the air density, and the altitude of the turbine's location. These factors can impact the velocity and pressure of the wind, which in turn affect the amount of energy that can be harnessed by the turbine.

How does the energy available to a wind turbine compare to other renewable energy sources?

The energy available to a wind turbine is highly variable and depends on the location and weather conditions. However, on average, wind turbines have a higher energy output compared to other renewable energy sources, such as solar or hydro power. This makes wind energy an important and efficient source of renewable energy.

What are some challenges in accurately calculating the energy available to a wind turbine?

One of the main challenges in calculating the energy available to a wind turbine is the variability of wind patterns. Wind speed and direction can change frequently, making it difficult to accurately predict the energy output of a turbine. Additionally, factors such as turbulence and wind shear can also affect the efficiency of a turbine, making it challenging to calculate the exact amount of energy available.