Energy Conservation in Quark Confinement

In summary, when energy is provided to the system, it is transferred to the proton and possible states are created depending on the c.o.m. energy. If the energy is not sufficient to create a quark-antiquark pair, it simply does not happen.
Macch
Hi guys,

I was reading about quark confinement and came up with a doubt i can't find the answer to:
You have to use energy to try to 'pull away' one of the quarks in a meson, right? And when you give enough energy, a new quark/anti-quark pair is created and that's why you never find only one quark. But, what if i give energy to the system but not enough so that the quark/anti-quark pair is created? What happens to the energy i gave to the system? Is it reemitted or does it stay in the system as potential energy?

I tried to think about it but can't figure this out.

Thanks for the help in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would bet the quarks would dance around for a while --until some relaxation time will have passed-- and then emit radiation (photon, or whatever).

You can look at an experiment to clarify the situation, e.g. deep inelastic scatterin

[tex]p\,+\,e\,\to\,X\,+\,e[/tex]

The energy is provided by an electron and transferred to the proton by a (virtual) photon. The final state contains again the electron plus a (quite complex) hadronic state X which is usually not discussed (we neglect non-hadronic states X like "Bremsstrahlung" due to electromagnetic interaction b/c they have nothing to do with confinement).

Now one can look at the possible states X depending on the c.o.m. energy E.

The lowest possible state is X=p, i.e. elastic scattering.
The next state would be something like X=Δ+ where only orbital angular momentum is transferred to the proton, i.e. the Δ+ has the same quark content (uud) but spin 3/2.
Another possible final state is a X=p+π° or X=n+π+ i.e. pion production. This is the first example where a quark is pulled out of a proton, where the energy is converted into a quark-antiquark pair which eventually forms a new particle (a pion) plus the original proton. In that case you can even draw a simple Feynman diagram for process.

Now for each such process there is a so-called threshold energy which can be determined kinematically w/o any knowledge about the details of QCD dynamics. For X=p the threshold is zero, elastic scattering is always allowed. For X=Δ+ it's a nice exercise to do the calculation; it's nothing else but energy-momentum conservation. For X=p+π° or X=n+π+ it's more comoplicated b/c now there are three particles (including the electron) in the final state.

So the answer is quite simple: if the energy is not sufficient to pull out a quark from the proton and to form a new, complex hadronic state X, it simply does not happen; the nucleon stays intact (elastic scattering) or is excited (Δ-resonance).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the answer, tom.stoer, it clarified a lot of things for me.

1. What is quark confinement?

Quark confinement is a concept in particle physics that refers to the phenomenon where quarks, which are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, are bound together so tightly that they cannot exist independently.

2. How does energy conservation play a role in quark confinement?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of quark confinement, the energy that is used to bind quarks together is conserved and cannot be released or transformed into other forms.

3. What are the potential applications of energy conservation in quark confinement?

The study of quark confinement and energy conservation has potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and quantum computing. It can also help us better understand the fundamental nature of matter and the universe.

4. How do scientists study energy conservation in quark confinement?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and high-energy collisions, to study the behavior of quarks in confinement. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the complex interactions involved in quark confinement.

5. What are some challenges in studying energy conservation in quark confinement?

One of the main challenges in studying energy conservation in quark confinement is the complexity of the system. Quarks are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, making it difficult to predict their behavior. Additionally, the energy involved in quark confinement is incredibly high, making it challenging to create and study in laboratory settings.