Energy Conservation in Relativity: Perpetual Motion?

In summary, energy conservation in relativity is the principle that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time. It is important because it allows for accurate predictions of object and system behavior and is a fundamental law of physics. Perpetual motion is impossible in the context of relativity due to the violation of energy conservation. The theory of relativity further reinforces this concept by stating that it applies to all frames of reference. There are no exceptions to this principle, though the form of energy may change in certain situations. Energy conservation in relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives, including advancements in technology and our understanding of the behavior of the world around us.
faramund
TL;DR Summary
Using potential energy and energy-mass conversion to break energy conservation laws and hence power perpetual motion
This is very much, a ... what's wrong with this approach...

Consider a large mass with no atmosphere, i.e. the moon. On it, construct a tower of arbitrary height. On the tower build an energy to mass machine, to convert energy to mass via E=mc^2. Once the mass is created, drop it from the tower, to land on some structure that captures the expended potential energy (wave powered generation via it landing in a liquid/a plate on top of a spring...). On the ground, convert the mass back into energy, and send that energy back up the tower (as either electricity up a wire, or by some kind of direct energy (i.e. laser/radio), ...). The expended potential energy can then be used to pay for inefficiencies in the system, with any excess being the additional bonus energy that can be used for the perpetual motion system.

• Haha
Likes davenn and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
faramund said:
On the ground, convert the mass back into energy, and send that energy back up the tower (as either electricity up a wire, or by some kind of direct energy (i.e. laser/radio), ...)
When sending it up, you loose all than gain you got when dropping it. No matter how you send it up.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
faramund said:
electricity up a wire
There are power losses in the wire
faramund said:
laser/radio
Light is redshifted when "climbing" the gravitational potential

Likes Delta2
Well, if its impossible to transfer energy uphill without losses bigger than the gain in potential energy of the equivalent (E=mc^2) mass on the way down, then yup, yet another loony perpetual motion idea bites the dust. How sad ...

Likes Delta2
faramund said:
Well, if its impossible to transfer energy uphill without losses bigger than the gain in potential energy of the equivalent (E=mc^2) mass on the way down, then yup, yet another loony perpetual motion idea bites the dust. How sad ...
Your thought experiment is interesting, it suggests that whenever we transform mass to energy (e.g electromagnetic energy), then when we send this energy uphill, no matter how exactly we do this uphill transmission, a portion of this energy equal to ##\frac{E}{c^2}gh## is lost (more precisely it is converted back to gravitational potential energy). This also suggest that there must be some interaction between the gravitational field and the field of the other energy form e.g electromagnetic field.

Likes dRic2
faramund said:
Did you not read the PF rules when you joined ?

PM topics are not allowed, even to discuss why it doesn't work :smile:

davenn said:
Did you not read the PF rules when you joined ?

PM topics are not allowed, even to discuss why it doesn't work :smile:
To be fair, this one has a good pedigree. It was this experiment that led Einstein to the realisation that there must be gravitational redshift.

Likes hutchphd, lomidrevo and Delta2
Well to tell the truth I didn't, but I did do the post, and then the form showed me many related threads on perpetual motion, and so I looked over those to see if I was repeating someone else's concepts, and then discovered that technically I shouldn't of done it.

I understand why there's a non-PM rule, but thinking about why something doesn't work, is always a good way to learn about where one's mental model has weaknesses.

Likes lomidrevo and Delta2
The rule is there more to prevent low-quality posts by borderline crackpots who want to discuss their ideas by continually cloaking them with phrases like, "why won't this work". Legitimate questions about perpetual motion are usually very easy to answer and can sometimes bring on quality discussions about real physics.

Likes lomidrevo and Delta2
The title of this thread has been changed (it had been “Perpetual Motion”) because it’s really about conservation of mass/energy in relativity. The thread has also been moved here from the Classical Physics subforum because the classical approximation that mass and energy are separately conserved quantities does not apply here.

Isn't that in essence Bondi's example.

Umm, I guess this is no surprise, but thread closed.

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is the hypothetical concept of a machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy input.

2. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to energy conservation?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another, thus supporting the principle of energy conservation.

3. Can perpetual motion exist in the context of relativity?

No, perpetual motion is not possible in the context of relativity. The laws of thermodynamics and Einstein's theory of relativity both dictate that energy must be conserved, and perpetual motion violates this fundamental principle.

4. Are there any examples of perpetual motion machines?

No, there are no known examples of perpetual motion machines that actually work. Many have been proposed and claimed to work, but upon closer examination, they all violate the laws of thermodynamics and are therefore impossible.

5. Why is the concept of perpetual motion still studied and debated?

The concept of perpetual motion continues to be studied and debated because it challenges our understanding of the laws of physics and the limits of technology. It also has potential implications for alternative energy sources and the search for new ways to generate energy. However, the scientific consensus remains that perpetual motion is impossible.