Energy Density & Mass Density: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the relationship between energy density and mass density in astrophysical equations of states. They mention the use of coordinates where the gas is at rest and the contribution of kinetic energy to energy density. They also mention the concept of center-of-momentum frame and its relevance to the mass-energy relationship.
Leonardo Machado
Hi everyone!

I'm currently strudying some astrophysical equation of states, some stuff about Fermi's gas and I'm kinda confused about the relation between the energy density and the mass density,

$$
\frac{\epsilon}{c^2}=\rho.
$$

I don't get why they do not use whole

$$
\epsilon=\frac{E}{V}=\frac{\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}}{V}
$$

could someoen explain me this ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess they are working in coordinates where the gas is at rest on average, where ##p=0## and the kinetic energy of the atoms (i.e., the heat) contributes to ##\epsilon##.

That's just a guess, though. Do you have a reference or link?

I agree with @Ibix . For a gas it's pretty common to study it in its center-of-momentum frame, where by definition the sum of the particles' momenta is zero.

From there it's easy to see that the mass of the system has to change in direct proportion to the rest energy.

1. What is energy density?

Energy density is a measure of the amount of energy stored in a given volume or mass of a substance. It is typically measured in joules per cubic meter (J/m3) or joules per kilogram (J/kg).

2. How is energy density different from mass density?

Mass density, also known as density, is a measure of the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is typically measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). Energy density takes into account the energy stored within the mass of a substance, while mass density only considers the physical mass of the substance.

3. What factors affect energy density?

The energy density of a substance is affected by its chemical composition, physical state, and temperature. Generally, substances with a higher energy content per unit mass or volume will have a higher energy density.

4. How is energy density important in everyday life?

Energy density plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, from the fuel efficiency of our vehicles to the storage capacity of batteries. It also affects the performance and efficiency of various technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

5. How is energy density used in scientific research?

Energy density is an important concept in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of materials, as well as to develop new technologies and materials with higher energy densities for various applications.