Energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving energy dissipation and resistivity of muscle. The problem involves finding the energy dissipated in a muscle with given dimensions using various equations. The individual presenting the problem has made a mistake in their calculation due to a calculator typo.
kostoglotov
edit: turned out to be a calculator typo...mods feel free to delete this thread if you wish, I won't complain.

Homework Statement

[/B]
Having issues with part a)

4hzLyhb.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/4hzLyhb.jpg

Homework Equations

Resistivity of muscle (from table in text): [tex]\rho \approx 13[/tex]

Large Diameter, Small Diameter: [tex]D = 0.080m \ \ \ d = 0.010m[/tex]

Energy dissipated: [tex]Q = P \Delta t [/tex]
Power: [tex]P = \frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]
EMF: [tex]V = \varepsilon = \left|\frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t}\right|[/tex]

Change in Flux: [tex]\left|\frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t}\right| = \left|\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t}\right| A_{eff}[/tex]

Effective Area (assume [itex]\theta = 0[/itex]): [tex]A_{eff} = A \cos{\theta} = A = \pi \left(\frac{D}{2}\right)^2[/tex]
Resistance: [tex]R = \frac{\rho L}{A} = \frac{\rho \pi D}{\pi \left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^2} = \frac{\rho D}{ \left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, energy expression: [tex]Q = P \Delta t = \frac{\varepsilon^2 \Delta t}{R} = \left[\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t}\pi \left(\frac{D}{2}\right)^2\right]^2 \Delta t \frac{d^2}{4 \rho D}[/tex]

Simplifying: [tex]Q = \frac{(\Delta B)^2 \pi^2 D^3 d^2}{64 \Delta t \rho}[/tex]

Plugging all the values from the problem in gives me: [itex]6.5 \times 10^{-8} J[/itex] with 2 sig figs.

The answer in the back is stated as: [itex]5.2 \times 10^{-9} J[/itex]

Where have I gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers differ by a factor of 4 pi, but I don't see wrong factors in your approach.

mfb said:
The numbers differ by a factor of 4 pi, but I don't see wrong factors in your approach.

Yeah, that's because I have what I like to call "stupid fingers"...it was a calculator typo...

What is the purpose of measuring energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine?

The measurement of energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine helps us understand the metabolic activity of muscles and the effects of physical activity on the body. It can also provide valuable information for diagnosing and monitoring muscle disorders and injuries.

How is energy dissipation measured in an MRI machine?

Energy dissipation can be measured using a technique called magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS). This involves using the MRI machine to detect changes in the chemical composition of the muscle tissue, which can indicate the amount of energy being used by the muscles.

What factors can affect the amount of energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine?

The amount of energy dissipated by a muscle in an MRI machine can be affected by a variety of factors, including the intensity and duration of physical activity, the type of muscle fiber (fast-twitch or slow-twitch), and the individual's overall fitness level and metabolism.

Can energy dissipation in muscles be altered or improved?

Yes, energy dissipation in muscles can be altered or improved through regular physical activity and exercise. As muscles become stronger and more efficient, they are able to use energy more effectively and may dissipate less energy during physical tasks.

Are there any potential risks associated with measuring energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine?

There are typically no risks associated with measuring energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine. However, individuals with metal implants or devices in their body may not be able to safely undergo this type of test. It is important to consult with a doctor before undergoing any medical imaging procedure.