Energy Dissipated in Loop (Magnetic Field)-

In summary, the energy dissipated in a circular loop of N turns of wire with radius r and resistance R, perpendicular to a magnetic field B(t)=B0e-t/tau, can be calculated by first finding the EMF using the derivative of the B field, then integrating the time-derivative of the energy dissipated from 0 to t using the area of the loop and the resistance.
The Head
Energy Dissipated in Loop (Magnetic Field)-- Please Help!

Homework Statement

What is the energy dissipated as a function of time in a circular loop of N turns of wire having a radius of r and a resistance of R if the plane of the loop is perpendicular to a magnetic field given by
B(t)=B0e-t/tau

Homework Equations

P=I^2*R=EMF^2/R
EMF=-d/dt(flux)=-dB/dt*NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wanted to calculate the EMF, and since the B field varies, I found the derivative of the B field, times the number of turns times the area:
EMF=NA*(t/tau)Be^(-t/tau)
Then squaring this term and multiplying it by 1/R will equal the time-derivative of the energy dissipated
dE/dt = (NA)^2*(t/tau)^2*(B^2)e^(-2t/tau)

Bringing dt over and integrating from 0 to t I find (and substituting pi*r^2 for A):
E=(N*pi*r^2)^2*(B^2)(tau^2-e^(-2t/tau))(2t^2+2t*tau + tau^2)/(4R*tau)

This is not the correct answer, though.

Any help? Please!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your derivative of the B field doesn't look right. Since you're taking the derivative w.r.t. time the t shouldn't be coming down from the exponent.

Oh-duh! Thank you--got it now.

1. What is energy dissipation in a loop?

Energy dissipation in a loop refers to the loss of energy that occurs when a magnetic field is present in a closed circuit. This energy is usually converted into heat and results in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

2. How does energy dissipate in a loop?

Energy dissipates in a loop through a process called Joule heating, where the resistance of the conductive material in the loop causes it to heat up and release energy in the form of heat. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving electrons in the circuit.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated in a loop?

The amount of energy dissipated in a loop depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the resistance of the material in the loop, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes. It also depends on the size and shape of the loop, as well as the material it is made of.

4. How is energy dissipation in a loop calculated?

The energy dissipation in a loop can be calculated using the formula P = I²R, where P is the power dissipated, I is the current flowing through the loop, and R is the resistance of the loop. This formula is derived from Ohm's law, which states that the power dissipated is equal to the product of current and resistance.

5. How can energy dissipation in a loop be minimized?

The energy dissipation in a loop can be minimized by reducing the resistance of the loop, using materials with higher conductivity, and decreasing the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, using thicker wires or increasing the size of the loop can also help reduce energy dissipation. Designing efficient circuits and using materials with low hysteresis can also help minimize energy loss.