Energy from bike riding used to charge phones/laptops

In summary, the conversation discusses a project idea to harness kinetic energy from a bike to charge and power small devices like a laptop and smartphone. The plan involves using a brushless or brushed alternator to charge a lipo battery and then power the devices. The individual is unsure if such a device designed for an alternator is available and asks for feedback. They are directed to look into regenerative braking and a link is provided for a possible solution. The conversation also mentions the need to control the charging process and discusses the power output and efficiency of the project. It is suggested to consider how much effort will be put into cycling and how quickly the batteries will charge. The individual also mentions the possibility of using a set of nicads or nimh
Drewdc90
Hi,
I've been thinking up a project on harnessing the kinetic energy to use for charging or powering small deviecs around the house firstly my laptop and smart phone. I have a basic idea of what I'm going to use and have some of the things needed.
My idea was to use a small brushless or maybe bushed alternator to charge a lipo battery then to power or power the charger of my phone or laptop. I have two 5000mah 7.4v lipo batteries to store the power then to convert or direct use (the laptop uses a 7.4 li-ion battery) but need to investigate the alternator and something to control the charge going to the batteries from the alternator. I'm aware of the process of charging a lipo battery but am unsure if such device designed to use with an alternator is available (like an alternator for a motorbike using a lipo in place of a lead acid battery).
Thanks for any feedback,
Drew.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
There are lots of online examples of using bike power for all kinds of things, and the manufacturer usually publishes the specs gor thrir batteries. Where have you looked?

Thank you,
there is though majority of them consist of people setting up the bike stationary to power things straight off the alternator which is very different to what I want to do.
I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way to charge a 5000mah 7.4 lipo (not my phone or my laptop battery) through a smallish alternator (brushless perhaps) on a moving bike to use the power from the onboard batteries afterwards?
I understand the charging process of lipo's and their sensitivity btw.
The use of a charger on the bike would work though a consistent flow of 12V to the charger seems a little tricky from an alternator on a bike. How would I do this?
Thanks for your reply,
Drew.

Last edited:
What you are trying to do comes under the general idea of regenerative braking. A lot of semiconductor manufacturers have solutions for this.
http://www.ti.com/tool/DRV8312-69M-KIT
You basically need to load the alternator in a controlled manner to ensure you don't spend too much effort on cycling. You can also have a control where you use the braking from your alternator when you are going downhill.

You should spend some time asking yourself how hard you are planning on working and how quickly you are expecting to charge the batteries. To charge 2 7.4V 5000 mah batteries requires about 266,000 Joules. So if you generated 100 Watts (pretty good power output, and remember the generator and charger are less than 100% efficient), it will take about 45 minutes to charge the batteries. How much power are you expecting to generate on your bicycle? Is it a stationary bike, where you are just charging the batteries, or are you expecting it to charge up while you ride? Are you expecting to be working hard, with lungs pumping and sweat rolling down your face (this might be 250 Watts), or are you talking a leisurely ride (maybe 25-50 Watts)? How long are you expecting the charge to take? All of these things will determine whether your project will give the results you expect.

phyzguy said:
You should spend some time asking yourself how hard you are planning on working and how quickly you are expecting to charge the batteries. To charge 2 7.4V 5000 mah batteries requires about 266,000 Joules. So if you generated 100 Watts (pretty good power output, and remember the generator and charger are less than 100% efficient), it will take about 45 minutes to charge the batteries. How much power are you expecting to generate on your bicycle? Is it a stationary bike, where you are just charging the batteries, or are you expecting it to charge up while you ride? Are you expecting to be working hard, with lungs pumping and sweat rolling down your face (this might be 250 Watts), or are you talking a leisurely ride (maybe 25-50 Watts)? How long are you expecting the charge to take? All of these things will determine whether your project will give the results you expect.

I usually ride for about an hour or so and its not really an easy ride. Just though it would be cool to use some of this power for something other than distance on a bike.
It sounds from your rough guide that it could be feasible .

Thanks.

Subhash said:
What you are trying to do comes under the general idea of regenerative braking. A lot of semiconductor manufacturers have solutions for this.
http://www.ti.com/tool/DRV8312-69M-KIT
You basically need to load the alternator in a controlled manner to ensure you don't spend too much effort on cycling. You can also have a control where you use the braking from your alternator when you are going downhill.
Thank you for that link. It looks a basically what i need. Maybe running a charger of the power coming from this could be the solution.
or maybe a set of nicads or nimh to keep to the power consitant to power a charger to charge the lipos properly.

1. How does energy from bike riding charge a phone or laptop?

The energy from bike riding is converted into electrical energy through a dynamo, which is a device that uses the movement of the wheels to generate electricity. This electricity can then be used to charge a phone or laptop.

2. Can any type of bike be used to generate energy?

Yes, any type of bike can be used as long as it has a dynamo attached to it. However, bikes with gears or multiple speeds may generate more energy due to the increased movement of the dynamo.

3. How long does it take to charge a phone or laptop using energy from bike riding?

The time it takes to charge a device using energy from bike riding depends on the efficiency of the dynamo and the speed at which the bike is ridden. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to fully charge a phone or laptop.

4. Is it safe to use energy from bike riding to charge devices?

Yes, it is safe to use energy from bike riding to charge devices. The dynamo is designed to generate a small amount of electricity, so there is no risk of being electrocuted. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and not touch any exposed wires.

5. Can energy from bike riding be used as a sustainable source of energy?

Yes, energy from bike riding can be considered a sustainable source of energy as it does not produce any harmful emissions and relies on human power rather than non-renewable resources. It can also be a reliable source of energy in areas where electricity is not easily accessible.