Energy from the Vacuum? Real or BS?

In summary, the ZPE guys are claiming that there is a way to generate power from thin air, without needing any external input. However, there are many skeptics who believe this is just another hoax.
Good grief. Free energy devices shrink the universe by draining dark energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
The worst trap of all is the belief that we already know it all.

One of my physics professors [a Cal Tech Ph.D.] once stopped a lecture to convey the following notion. He said that you can ask a 2nd rate [or worse] "expert" how a nuclear reactor works, and often you will get a precise and complete description [according to the amateur]. If you ask a top notch nuclear physicist, he or she will often be much less clear or certain of themselves.

He told us to remember that.

Last edited:
Stated another way:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand Russell

Note that I'm arguing on principle and not wrt any particular claims made in this thread. I am responding only to the scope of some statements made.

Hi,

Everyone is entitled to believe that something is impossible, using whatever basis they deem correct.

However, it seems shortsighted to me to absolutely deny the possibility of overunity energy production, anti-gravitic phenomena, etc. just because it lies outside the parameters of present knowledge and theory.

juju

However, it seems shortsighted to me to absolutely deny the possibility of overunity energy production, anti-gravitic phenomena, etc. just because it lies outside the parameters of present knowledge and theory.

Not to squash people's ideas, but... ENERGY ISN'T AN INTRINSIC QUANTITY.

You can't pick something up and say, "Oh, here's some X, let me hook it up to my energy-meter. Hmm... it has 3.82 kJ of energy." Energy is a completely artificial construct developed by scientists to create a scalar value that had some significance.

What you call
overunity energy production
I am assuming to be a process that generates more energy than it begins with. This is what is known as a perpetual motion machine. It is one of the very few things that is unequivocally impossible.

The concept we refer to as energy, is merely a balance. The universe consists of a set amount of energy. Any process merely converts some property to another, while leaving the net amount of energy in the universe the same. If "energy" could be created, then why couldn't it also be destroyed? And if it were destroyed, where would it go? The concept is laughable.

Again, sorry to shatter dreams... just dispensing loving spoonfuls of the cold, hard truth.

Cheers...

I do not deny the possibility of such things, merely their existence. Overunity energy production and anti-gravity technology would require physics unlike any we currently know. I doubt such knowledge will be found in a garage or a web page.