Energy in a Magnetic Field (SMES Core Question)

In summary, the energy to charge a magnetic field to a certain value is recovered when the field collapses, regardless of the core material. However, with a steel core, the magnetic field is greater due to the higher permeability. This results in a larger amount of energy being recovered when the field collapses. The inductance and stored energy also increase with the use of a steel core. In a SMES, it is typically best to use an air core rather than steel or mumetal for construction.
Rework
Say one has a solenoid with a given number of amp-turns; if the core is air, we know that the energy to charge a magnetic field to "B" Tesla is recovered when the magnetic field collapses. Now if that core is iron instead of air, we know the magnetic field is greater than the original "B" value, due to the permeability of iron. My question is: when that field collapses, does one recover the same amount of energy as before (with the air core), or a larger amount of energy equal to the larger field? It would seem against all rules of conservation of energy that one would get more energy back, but where does that extra field energy go? -- or is it energy?

So in a SMES, it would seem an air core would be best. Does air have a magnetic field saturation, as does iron?

I would be most appreciative for an answer to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rework said:
Say one has a solenoid with a given number of amp-turns; if the core is air, we know that the energy to charge a magnetic field to "B" Tesla is recovered when the magnetic field collapses. Now if that core is iron instead of air, we know the magnetic field is greater than the original "B" value, due to the permeability of iron. My question is: when that field collapses, does one recover the same amount of energy as before (with the air core), or a larger amount of energy equal to the larger field? It would seem against all rules of conservation of energy that one would get more energy back, but where does that extra field energy go? -- or is it energy?

So in a SMES, it would seem an air core would be best. Does air have a magnetic field saturation, as does iron?

I would be most appreciative for an answer to this.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It takes more energy to "charge it up" to the same current, so you would get back that higher amount of energy when "discharging" the inductance.

But if u(mu) for air is 1.25 x 10^-5, and mu for steel is 5.0 x 10^-3; and B=mu X H, it appears B will be much greater for steel for the same H (amp turns). So for a given amount of H, don't you get more B?

Rework said:
But if u(mu) for air is 1.25 x 10^-5, and mu for steel is 5.0 x 10^-3; and B=mu X H, it appears B will be much greater for steel for the same H (amp turns). So for a given amount of H, don't you get more B?
Yes. And what is the formula for the energy stored in an inductance? How does the higher μ of the iron-core coil affect its inductance? :smile:

OK -- I'm going in circles here! The stored energy increases with the inductance, and the inductance increases with mu. I understand that. What I don't understand is what happens, say, if you have an air-core solenoid that is fully charged (steady current, no inductance at that point) and you insert a steel core.

Rework said:
OK -- I'm going in circles here! The stored energy increases with the inductance, and the inductance increases with mu. I understand that. What I don't understand is what happens, say, if you have an air-core solenoid that is fully charged (steady current, no inductance at that point) and you insert a steel core.
How are you driving this current in the coil in your throught experiments?

And the steel core will get pulled inside the coil (think solenoid actuator):

http://www.solenoidsupplier.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/how-to-make-solenoid.jpg
how-to-make-solenoid.jpg

Attachments

• how-to-make-solenoid.jpg
    how-to-make-solenoid.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,079
Rework said:

berkeman said:
How are you driving this current in the coil in your throught experiments?

And the steel core will get pulled inside the coil (think solenoid actuator):

http://www.solenoidsupplier.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/how-to-make-solenoid.jpg
View attachment 222379
So going back to my original post, I say the amp turns are the same; the turns are always the same obviously, but in the case of the steel core, the amps will increase. Is that a true statement?

Rework said:
So going back to my original post, I say the amp turns are the same; the turns are always the same obviously, but in the case of the steel core, the amps will increase. Is that a true statement?
My reason for the question is involving a SMES. As far as I know, the current SMES construction is with an air core. not steel or mumetal. Is that for a reason?

Rework said:
SMES
I tried searching on that acronym, and so far no luck. I got this at Wikipedia -- what is SMES?
Wikipedia said:
Science and technology
Computing

berkeman said:
I tried searching on that acronym, and so far no luck. I got this at Wikipedia -- what is SMES?
Superconductor Magnetic Energy Storage

Rework said:
As far as I know, the current SMES construction is with an air core. not steel or mumetal. Is that for a reason?
Can you provide a link?

Rework said:
As far as I know, the current SMES construction is with an air core. not steel or mumetal. Is that for a reason?
Interesting question. I'm guessing it's because ferrous metals don't support the high magnetic fields in the SMES interiors. They would saturate at much lower fields, so would probably not help to increase the inductance and energy density. But that is just a guess so far...

Wikipedia Link said:
The critical current of HTSC wire is lower than LTSC wire generally in the operating magnetic field, about 5 to 10 teslas (T).
10T is way more than an iron core can deal with, I believe. Look at the typical hysteresis curve below -- the vertical axis is all less than 1T:

http://www.magnets.com.cn/mats_pic/SA/Dynamic_Hysteresis_Loop_Cluster_of_Mn-Zn.jpg
Dynamic_Hysteresis_Loop_Cluster_of_Mn-Zn.jpg

Attachments

• Dynamic_Hysteresis_Loop_Cluster_of_Mn-Zn.jpg
    Dynamic_Hysteresis_Loop_Cluster_of_Mn-Zn.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,452
berkeman said:
Interesting question. I'm guessing it's because ferrous metals don't support the high magnetic fields in the SMES interiors. They would saturate at much lower fields, so would probably not help to increase the inductance and energy density. But that is just a guess so far...10T is way more than an iron core can deal with, I believe. Look at the typical hysteresis curve below -- the vertical axis is all less than 1T:

http://www.magnets.com.cn/mats_pic/SA/Dynamic_Hysteresis_Loop_Cluster_of_Mn-Zn.jpg
View attachment 222403
Being an ME, we had to learn EE in one year, so am a bit short on my theory. But am still having a problem. It appears you are getting something for nothing; with the same H, you are getting more B when you have a steel core vs air.

Rework said:
It appears you are getting something for nothing; with the same H, you are getting more B when you have a steel core vs air.
Not really something for nothing. The inductance is increased when you use a ferrous core (of appropriate material for the field strength and frequency of operation), so you can store more energy in that increased inductance. That energy comes from the power source or signal source.

Are you familiar with the use of dielectrics in capacitors? It's a similar situation, although the increase in capacitance from the dielectric over air/vacuum is much more modest than you can achieve with ferrous core inductors.

berkeman said:
Not really something for nothing. The inductance is increased when you use a ferrous core (of appropriate material for the field strength and frequency of operation), so you can store more energy in that increased inductance. That energy comes from the power source or signal source.

Are you familiar with the use of dielectrics in capacitors? It's a similar situation, although the increase in capacitance from the dielectric over air/vacuum is much more modest than you can achieve with ferrous core inductors.
There is a post on your "Classical Physics" forum, dated May 20, 2013, discussing stored energy. If that is correct thinking, and I understood it,that would also answer my question. I need to learn all I can about SMES. They will get more popular. Thanks for all your help.

Likes berkeman
Rework said:
There is a post on your "Classical Physics" forum, dated May 20, 2013, discussing stored energy. If that is correct thinking, and I understood it,that would also answer my question. I need to learn all I can about SMES. They will get more popular. Thanks for all your help.
BTY, what is the best place on this site to discuss superconductors, etc?

The stored energy is proportional to ##H B##. Once we fix the coil geometry, H is proportional to the current. The maximal B is given by the superconducting material (and its temperature and current). To maximize the stored energy, you want the largest possible H for the maximal B. An iron yoke doesn't help you here, and if the coil is not perfect you might even get a lower energy density before you risk a quench. It also comes with ugly side effects like eddy currents, which make quick charging/discharging problematic.
berkeman said:
You searched for SME. SMES is a redirect to the correct page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMES

Likes berkeman

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of space where magnetic forces are present. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles.

What is energy in a magnetic field?

Energy in a magnetic field refers to the potential energy stored in a magnetic field, which can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy.

What is a SMES core?

A SMES (Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage) core is a type of energy storage system that uses superconducting coils to store energy in a magnetic field. The core is made of a superconducting material that has zero electrical resistance when cooled to a certain temperature.

How does a SMES core work?

A SMES core works by passing a direct current through the superconducting coils, creating a magnetic field. The energy is stored in this magnetic field and can be released by reversing the current or by discharging the magnetic field through a load.

What are the advantages of using a SMES core for energy storage?

There are several advantages of using a SMES core for energy storage, including high efficiency (up to 95%), fast response time, and the ability to store large amounts of energy in a small space. Additionally, the energy can be stored for long periods of time without any degradation, making it a reliable and sustainable energy storage option.