What Determines the Maximum Velocity of a Particle in a Given Energy System?

In summary, The total energy of a particle is given by:E_{tot} = 2 \dot{x}^{2} - cos(\frac{1}{2} \pi x)and I'm told that the particle passed through the point x=1 [m] with a velocity of \vec{v}=-\frac{1}{2} \hat{x} [m/sec]. The maximum velocity of the particle during its motion can be found by using the equilibrium points, which are given by x_{e} = 2n, n=0,1,2,..., and solving for the total energy at these points. Using the conservation of energy, we can find the force acting on the particle and then the
PhMichael
The total energy of a particle is given by:

[tex]E_{tot} = 2 \dot{x}^{2} - cos(\frac{1}{2} \pi x)[/tex]

and I'm told that the particle passed through the point [tex]x=1 [m][/tex] with a velocity of [tex]\vec{v}=-\frac{1}{2} \hat{x} [m/sec][/tex].

I'm required to find the maximum velocity of the particle during its motion.

The attempt at a solution
well I know that at equilibrium, the total energy of the particle is kinetic energy, so this corresponds to the maximum velocity.
Equilibrium occurs when the force on the body, i.e. the first derivative of the potential energy term with respect to x, vanishes.
The P.E. is extracted from the total energy expression, that is,

[tex] U(x)= - cos(\frac{1}{2} \pi x) [/tex]

so

U'(x) = 0 ===> equilibrium points are: [tex]x_{e} = 2n , n=0,1,2,... [/tex]

and at this point I'm stuck!
Is it even the right approach to solve questions like these, or not?!

by the way, the answer is:

[tex] v_{max} = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} [m/sec] [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That approach looks correct. What you got to do now is to figure out Etot which can be determined from the givens (just plug in x, and x'). Then with the equilibrium x, Etot, solve for x' to get the answer.

actually you should check the values of x for U' = 0 because they may be maximas as well e.g. if x is 2, which doesn't even given a solution.

Last edited:
I assume that the total energy is conserved, which is an important assumption in this problem.
First, I think you cannot directly deduce U(x) from the total energy (yes, just by looking at the form of the formula, we can see it; but strictly speaking, we cannot conclude without proof). So here is the way: because the total energy is conserved, dE/dt=0. From this, you can deduce the force, and then, U(x) (remember that the potential energy only goes with a conservative force).

From here, you have 2 ways:
1 - The same way you approach the problem. Remember that E is conserved, so plug the data they give into find E.
By the way, I don't think the value x=2 is not appropriate due to that it's a maximum. It is because the particle doesn't have enough energy to reach x=2.
2 - Use x"(t) (from the force) to deduce v(x).

Just my 2 cents :smile:

By the way, I don't think the value x=2 is not appropriate due to that it's a maximum. It is because the particle doesn't have enough energy to reach x=2.

That's true, though even if Etot is large enough such that a solution exists for x=2, that's still not the right answer because U(x) is not at the minimum for x=2.

A easy way to get U'(x) might be to consider Etot = K(x') + U(x), then get delE/delx = U'(x) = 0

Thanks guys!

A question:

There is no need to "think of" conservative forces, isn't it?! as if I follow what has been just said, then:

[tex] \frac{dE_{tot}}{dx} = \frac{dU}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} \pi sin (\frac{1}{2} \pi x )[/tex]

so I only need to integrate this expression to obtain the P.E. without even recognizing that this is the force, had it been conservative ; that is,

[tex]U(x) = cos(\frac{1}{2} \pi x_{0}) - cos(\frac{1}{2} \pi x)[/tex]

and plugging in the Initial place of the particle [tex]x_{0} = 1 [m][/tex] yields the expected expression for the P.E.

[tex]U(x) = -cos(\frac{1}{2} \pi x ) [/tex]

while the stable equilibrium points correspond to [tex] \frac{d^{2}U}{dx^{2}}>0 [/tex] ... and afterwards I continue like you guys have just said to obtain the max. velocity.

The potential energy only exists when there is conservative force, that's what you have to point out, though it's pretty obvious in this problem.

Also I don't think you need to integrate U' to obtain U, because U' and U" is really all you need to find the x for which U is at minimum (KE at maximum).

Related to What Determines the Maximum Velocity of a Particle in a Given Energy System?

1. What is the concept of energy and initial conditions?

Energy and initial conditions refer to the laws and principles that govern the behavior and transformation of energy in a physical system. This includes understanding the initial state of a system and how it evolves over time.

2. How is energy related to the initial conditions of a system?

The initial conditions of a system, such as its position, velocity, and other physical properties, determine the amount and type of energy present in the system. This energy can then be transformed or conserved according to the laws of physics.

3. What are the different forms of energy that can exist in a system?

There are various forms of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (energy of position), thermal energy (heat), electromagnetic energy (light and other forms of radiation), and chemical energy (stored in chemical bonds).

4. How do initial conditions affect the conservation of energy in a system?

The initial conditions of a system, such as its shape, mass, and external forces, can impact the conservation of energy. For example, if there is friction present, some of the initial energy may be lost as heat, leading to a decrease in the total energy of the system.

5. Can energy be created or destroyed in a system?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system. It can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant, although it may change forms over time.