Energy loss in the beam of LHC

In summary, the quantum vacuum guarantees that no space is completely empty, so there is always a small amount of energy that is constantly being emitted and absorbed. This energy is what causes the beam to lose its content (energy or particles) when it is passing through the Casimir plates.
phoenix95
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Could the beam lose energy purely because of the quantum mechanical nature of vacuum?
Generally, one would expect the beam to lose its content (energy or particles) if it hits anything before its reaching its target. The whole idea of maintaining (conventional) vacuum using pumps or other means is to minimize that loss. But is it possible that there could be a beam loss purely because of a quantum mechanical vacuum? That is because the uncertainty principle guarantees that no space is completely empty and so there would be inevitable and unavoidable beam loss?

Physics news on Phys.org
The beam has zero kinetic energy in the reference frame of the beam. Where would the energy come from to change that, and in which direction would the particles accelerate?
phoenix95 said:
That is because the uncertainty principle guarantees that no space is completely empty
It doesn't.

phoenix95 said:
That is because the uncertainty principle guarantees that no space is completely empty
Huh? What? I don't understand what this means.

Likes phoenix95
phoenix95 said:
Isn't it true that there would always be quantum fluctuations? Virtual particles-antiparticle pairs being created and annihilated, or was I wrong when I assumed (at least implicitly) that "the beam can interact with the quantum fluctuations/virtual particles"?

I think my main confusion here is whether or not the beam (or any matter particle) can interact with virtual particles.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
phoenix95 said:
Virtual particles-antiparticle pairs being created and annihilated
There is no such process, no matter how often popular science descriptions repeat that myth.

Virtual particles are tools in some calculations. They are as real as an integral sign. Particle beams don't interact with integral signs either.

• Informative
  • Love
Likes Imager, Keith_McClary, vanhees71 and 5 others
I think @phoenix95 was thinking the vacuum energy aka zero point energy that is theorized and predicted to exist throughout space even under complete vacuum. The particles he was talking about are probably the particles said to spontaneously be created due to the underlying vacuum field.
So if I can and if that makes any sense I could rephrase his original question into " how would the passing of a 0.99c proton beam through the Casimir plates affect the outcome of the Casimir plate experiment if one was able to pass such a proton beam through the narrow opening between such plates"

Likes phoenix95
It would have nothing to do with the Casimir effect, but the proton bunches come with a strong electromagnetic field, which would interact with following bunches - most likely leading to an emergency beam dump. It would also lead to forces on the plates far stronger than the Casimir effect.

Likes phoenix95
It is a bad idea to speculate about what the OP "really means", which I will now demonstrate. It's better to ask and let them answer.

"the passing of a 0.99c proton beam through the Casimir plates"

Obviously when the beam hits through the plates there will be a spray of secondary particles when it hits them. Thick enough and the beam will stop in tehm.

"No, no! Not through that way! Through the other way! Between them!"

Casimir plates are conductors. The beam is a current. The beam will generate an image current on the plates. The magnetic forces from the image current will affect the beam - coupling the head of the beam to the tail of the beam. This causes an instability.

"No. no! This is ordinary! I want Casimir magic! Vacuum voodoo! Beam bippity boppity boo!"

<sigh>

• Love
Likes phoenix95, nsaspook and weirdoguy
I think quantum theory is exciting enough without all the voodoo many popular-science books claim just to be sold. Already the Casimir effect has nothing to do with a "pure vacuum" but it's about (quantum) fluctuations of the charges making up the plates. Having a proton beam as delivered from the LHC between the plates you are very far from having vacuum at all and fortunately the protons in the accelerator can be described by classical electrodynamics and (relativistic) mechanics. No "quantum voodoo" needed ;-).

Likes Delta2, phoenix95 and Mondayman
My apologies for replying late. I forgot about the thread after that answer from @mfb which I thought was good enough. Let me just make some remarks.

Sometimes when I have a question, it is not obligated to receive an answer by any means; it could very well be possible that the question was framed on the basis of a misconception, and asking that question nonetheless would help clear out that misconception.:smile: This is exactly what happened in #4 and#5. In all honesty, you did not have to reply to a senseless question (one could say that is the purpose of the platform, but given that I was talking about LHC beams and the quantum vacuum should hint at least some background in physics; which means I should have paid attention to my homework, which would have stopped that misconception in its tracks) but you did, and I thank you for that.

What @artis mentioned in #6 was exactly what I meant when I said quantum vacuum in #1. But as I said, the answer by @mfb in #5 cleared it out.

Now let me address this:

If
Vanadium 50 said:
It is a bad idea to speculate about what the OP "really means", which I will now demonstrate.
then why are speculating that OP and/or other poster meant
Vanadium 50 said:
"No. no! This is ordinary! I want Casimir magic! Vacuum voodoo! Beam bippity boppity boo!"

<sigh>
? To put it in a sentence: Why would you assume that the person is only asking that question for the sake/interest of "quantum voodoo"?:smile:
vanhees71 said:
I think quantum theory is exciting enough without all the voodoo many popular-science books claim just to be sold.
Yes, of course. Maybe that is probably why the OP is interested in LHC beams and not 'goop lab von Netflix'.:wink:

I'm sorry if this post seems a bit aggressive. I understand the fault was in my own misconception as well as the wording of the thread; I didn't mean to offend any of the mentors/advisors above. It is contradictory when the academia around me boasts "Ask questions. There are no stupid questions only stupid answers (and other inspirational quotes that are too much to fit in this quotation)". And when I do then I hear "Oh that is a stupid question. Well, you should have done your homework. Where do get these? From Quantum voodoo?". In the post I wrote above, I had two concepts that I had known: vacuum/virtual particles and LHC beams. I was merely asking how the two reconciled with each other. And for that same matter
Vanadium 50 said:
"the passing of a 0.99c proton beam through the Casimir plates"
is just another student trying to reconcile their own understandings of two different things. I might have very well asked, "What would be the energy of the LHC beam that is required such that firing it through a dripping faucet would stop the dripping, after considering gravity and friction". Sure, it is a dumb question. But not necessarily as bad as the need to <sigh>.

I know all of you mentors. Either directly or indirectly, you have helped me on this platform many times before. Knowing your expertise, it would be impudent of me to say that your approach is wrong. I just hope that the atmosphere here remains the same for other students (and for me; to be honest it's just for me, I added the phrase 'other students' to seem polite and empathizing:oldbiggrin:) to come. Please don't brush off any questions as 'unworthy'.:smile:

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

1. What is the LHC and how does it work?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. The LHC works by accelerating beams of protons or heavy ions to nearly the speed of light and then colliding them at four different points along its 27 km circular tunnel. These collisions produce new particles that can help scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. How does energy loss occur in the beam of LHC?

Energy loss in the beam of LHC can occur due to several factors. One of the main causes is the resistance of the beam to the magnetic fields used to steer and focus it. This resistance, known as impedance, can cause the beam to lose energy as it travels through the accelerator. Other factors such as scattering of particles and interactions with residual gas molecules can also contribute to energy loss.

3. What are the consequences of energy loss in the beam of LHC?

Energy loss in the beam of LHC can have several consequences. It can lead to a decrease in the intensity and luminosity of the beam, which can affect the number of collisions and the amount of data collected by the detectors. Energy loss can also cause the beam to become unstable, resulting in beam losses and potential damage to the accelerator components. Additionally, energy loss can affect the accuracy of measurements and the ability to observe rare particles or phenomena.

4. How do scientists mitigate energy loss in the beam of LHC?

Scientists use various techniques to mitigate energy loss in the beam of LHC. One method is to use superconducting magnets that have very low impedance, reducing the resistance to the beam. Another approach is to use specialized vacuum systems to minimize the number of residual gas molecules in the beam pipe. Additionally, scientists continuously monitor the beam and make adjustments to minimize energy loss and maintain stable beam conditions.

5. What are the potential future developments to reduce energy loss in the beam of LHC?

There are ongoing research and development efforts to reduce energy loss in the beam of LHC. One approach is to use advanced materials and coatings that can reduce the impedance and improve the stability of the beam. Another potential development is the use of higher energy beams, which can reduce the relative impact of energy loss. Additionally, scientists are exploring new accelerator designs and techniques that could potentially mitigate energy loss in the future.