Energy Momentum Tensor: Real Physics & Cosmology

In summary: However, in more general cases, the stress-energy tensor is used to describe the relativistic transformation of energy, momentum, and pressure. This can be done in a number of ways, but one common method is to use a mathematically equivalent formulation known as the stress-energy tensor formalism. This formulation is necessary for relativistically covariant physics, which is what you are asking. One way to measure the stress-energy tensor is to use instruments like the gravitational wave detector.
dsaun777
The energy momentum tensor and its correlation to reimannian curvature is fascinating to think about. How much are the components and which of the components are taken into consideration when doing real physics. I suppose astrophysicists and cosmologists would be the main group of scientists that use such calculations routinely. When or how are they actually used experimentally to verify and make predictions? I am aware that the dominant figure in the energy tensor is density, but are factors like stress, flux etc key figures in doing real cosmology? Or are they more for computing black hole or galactic scale type curvatures.

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard model of cosmology (the ΛCDM model) assumes that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic and filled with one or more ideal fluids. Such fluids can be described (in the frame where the universe is homogeneous and isotropic) by an energy density and a pressure. Different types of fluids have different relations between energy density and pressure, parametrised by the equation of state ##p = w\rho##. The value of ##w## for regular matter is zero because the pressure, as you mentioned, is much lower than the energy density. However, this is not true for all types of fluids. For example, a photon gas has ##w = 1/3## and a cosmological constant corresponds to ##w = -1##. Since the universe was once dominated by radiation and today is going into a dark energy dominated phase, cases where the pressure is relevant to the evolution of the universe are certainly of importance to cosmology.

dsaun777 said:
Or are they more for computing black hole or galactic scale type curvatures.
Uncharged black holes are vacuum solutions to the EFEs. The stress-energy tensor in those spacetimes is identically equal to zero.

Likes dsaun777
dsaun777 said:
The energy momentum tensor and its correlation to reimannian curvature is fascinating to think about. How much are the components and which of the components are taken into consideration when doing real physics. I suppose astrophysicists and cosmologists would be the main group of scientists that use such calculations routinely. When or how are they actually used experimentally to verify and make predictions? I am aware that the dominant figure in the energy tensor is density, but are factors like stress, flux etc key figures in doing real cosmology? Or are they more for computing black hole or galactic scale type curvatures.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The components of the stress energy tensor are the densities of energy, momentum, and pressure. All of these are can be and are used experimentally. The pressure term, as it includes some dynamic pressures, might take a little study to understand, the other terms are pretty basic.

One of the important uses of the stress-energy tensor is it tells you how all these components transform relativistically. It's necessary to use the stress-energy tensor, or a mathematically equivalent formulation, to write relativsitically covariant physics involving these quantities. So, if one is trying to do an experiment involving relativistic entities, it'll be needed if you are measuring any of energy, momentum, or pressure. You might be able to get away without it if you have a relativistic system that's a point particle and doesn't have any volume.

pervect said:
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The components of the stress energy tensor are the densities of energy, momentum, and pressure. All of these are can be and are used experimentally. The pressure term, as it includes some dynamic pressures, might take a little study to understand, the other terms are pretty basic.

One of the important uses of the stress-energy tensor is it tells you how all these components transform relativistically. It's necessary to use the stress-energy tensor, or a mathematically equivalent formulation, to write relativsitically covariant physics involving these quantities. So, if one is trying to do an experiment involving relativistic entities, it'll be needed if you are measuring any of energy, momentum, or pressure. You might be able to get away without it if you have a relativistic system that's a point particle and doesn't have any volume.
I'm asking when do these components show up collectively and are used to calculate spacetime relativity effects like curvature. What are some of the instruments involved in measuring these components to get a corresponding reimann curvature, basically applied GR.

dsaun777 said:
I'm asking when do these components show up collectively and are used to calculate spacetime relativity effects like curvature. What are some of the instruments involved in measuring these components to get a corresponding reimann curvature, basically applied GR.
There seem to be two separate questions here. The components of the stress-energy tensor are used any time you solve the Einstein Field Equations. In a trivial sense you are even using one component of it if you use Newtonian gravity, and you are using it even if the components are all identically zero, as they are in vacuum solutions.

Separate from this is the question of how you determine the values of the components of the tensor (or, strictly, contractions of the tensor with various combinations of basis vectors). There are many different ways, depending on what you are measuring. For example in FLRW spacetime we can use telescopes (plus a certain amount of modelling to back out mass from luminosity) to measure stellar densities.

dsaun777 said:

I'm going to assume you are interested in solar system planetary and solar masses, as the question is very general.

For the solar system case, my understanding is that they are derived as a best fit to an epemeris, i.e. observations of the orbits. One also needs an associated value of G to report these masses in standard units, this is a relatively low precision measurement I believe.

For another astronomical realm, LIGO 's black hole inspirals, the value for the mass is derived from the frequency of the chirp signal.

So the observations are fit in the framework of a theory, it's not like we are able to accurately find the density of the Earth and integrate it's mass from the density measurements, for example. Details vary, but generally the mass is inferred from observations of orbits for the solar system.

Wiki seems to agrees with my understanding, for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Planetary_mass&oldid=918747186

GR introduces only minor corrections in the case of the solar system.

As far as I understand, all the best current ephemeris use a GR equation of motion for all major solar system bodies. However, it is not based on the field equations or stress energy tensor or curvature. Instead, they are based on the post Newtonian approximation, using the first order of corrections to Newtonian motion. The basic equation used is given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein–Infeld–Hoffmann_equations

Related to Energy Momentum Tensor: Real Physics & Cosmology

1. What is the Energy Momentum Tensor?

The Energy Momentum Tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given system. It is a tensor, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is used to understand the dynamics of a system, such as in fluid mechanics or general relativity.

2. How is the Energy Momentum Tensor used in real physics?

The Energy Momentum Tensor is used in a variety of fields in physics, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It helps to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a system and is an important tool for understanding the behavior of physical systems.

3. What is the significance of the Energy Momentum Tensor in cosmology?

In cosmology, the Energy Momentum Tensor is used to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in the universe. It is especially important in understanding the dynamics of the universe as a whole, including the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures.

4. How is the Energy Momentum Tensor related to conservation laws?

The Energy Momentum Tensor is closely related to the conservation laws of energy and momentum. In physics, energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The Energy Momentum Tensor helps to describe how energy and momentum are transferred and transformed within a system, allowing for the conservation of these quantities.

5. What are some applications of the Energy Momentum Tensor?

The Energy Momentum Tensor has many practical applications in physics, including in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of aircraft and spacecraft, and in the development of new materials and technologies. Additionally, it is a crucial tool in understanding the behavior of the universe on a large scale in cosmology.