Energy needed to deform metal sheets

In summary: You will need to account for these factors when trying to design a denting process.In summary, the author is looking for a way to calculate the energy needed to deform a metal sheet. They have a rough estimation of the denting energy, but need to test it to get a more accurate result. There are many variables that affect the dent resistance, so a process needs to be designed to account for all of them.
liquidFuzz
I'm doing some calculations on deforming of metal sheets. I have a formula for calculating the force needed to bend metal sheets. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find more information? What I would like to end up with a way of calculating the force needed to deform metal sheets such that they reach plastic deformation.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been 'googling' too but more in the line of energy deformation metal sheets.

It seems that the term deflection is used for this. Any comment on this maybe?

How deep do you want to get? The book Metal Forming - Mechanics and Metallurgy by Hosford and Caddell, was the basis for a graduate level class on that subject. Another book, Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials by Kalpackjian, has a chapter on sheet metal forming that is much more readable.

Good search term is sheet metal forming on both Google and scholar.google.com.

I'm looking for a way of calculating the energy needed to deform a metal sheet, like denting a metal sheet to the point of breakthrough. In an attempt to try and answer your question about how deep I want to go - I have a some rough estimations in my current model so the level of detail for the denting energy isn't crucial.

There is a huge difference between barely denting, as implied in your first post, and denting to the point of breakthrough. It sounds like you are better off running some tests. There many variables - sheet thickness, strength, toughness, size, edge support, kinetic energy, momentum, shape, and strength of the object all affect the dent resistance. Support a piece of sheet metal, drop objects from different heights, find what dents and how deep.

1. What is the relationship between energy and metal sheet deformation?

The amount of energy needed to deform a metal sheet depends on factors such as the type of metal, its thickness, and the method of deformation. In general, more energy is required to deform thicker and harder metals.

2. Can the energy needed to deform metal sheets be accurately predicted?

Yes, using mathematical models and simulations, the energy needed to deform metal sheets can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy. This allows engineers to optimize the manufacturing process and minimize energy consumption.

3. How does temperature affect the energy needed to deform metal sheets?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the energy needed to deform metal sheets. As temperature increases, the metal becomes more malleable and requires less energy to deform. However, excessively high temperatures can also cause the metal to become too soft and lose its structural integrity.

4. Is there a limit to how much energy can be used to deform metal sheets?

Yes, there is a limit to how much energy can be used to deform metal sheets. If too much energy is applied, the metal can fracture or tear instead of deforming. This is why it is important to carefully control the amount of energy used in the deformation process.

5. How does the type of deformation process affect the energy needed to deform metal sheets?

The type of deformation process, such as bending, stretching, or compressing, can significantly impact the energy needed to deform metal sheets. Some processes may require more energy than others, and the energy distribution within the metal sheet may also vary depending on the type of deformation.