How Much Energy Does Falling Water Generate at Niagara Falls?

In summary, the Niagara Falls hydroelectric generating plant converts the energy of falling water into electricity with a height of 50 meters. Assuming a highly efficient conversion, 1 kilogram of falling water produces 490.5 joules of energy. To produce a megawatt of power (10e6 watts), approximately 20,387 kilograms of water must go through the generators every second.
Qnslaught

Homework Statement

In the Niagara Falls hydroelectric generating plant, the energy of falling water is converted into electricity. The height of the falls is about 50 meters. Assuming that the energy conversion is highly efficient, approximately how much energy is obtained from one kilogram of falling water? Therefore, approximately how many kilograms of water must go through the generators every second to produce a megawatt of power (10e6 watts)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the idea that energy of falling water is found with mgh. I found that 1 kg of water falling 50 meters gives off 490.5 joules, so i used (10e6)/(490.5) and got 20387.35984 kg's. The site keeps telling me that answer is wrong and I have no idea what I'm not doing right.

Physics news on Phys.org
mgh = 1 * 9.8 * 50 = 490J/kg
So 10,000,000 W/ 490J/kg/s = 20 400 kg/s

Seems right, a rather optimistic number of significant figure though,

Your attempt at a solution is correct, however, there may be a mistake in the unit conversion. The answer you obtained, 20387.35984 kg's, is actually the mass of water needed per second to produce a megawatt of power, not the energy obtained from one kilogram of falling water.

To find the energy obtained from one kilogram of falling water, we can use the equation E = mgh, where E is the energy in joules, m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height in meters. Plugging in the values, we get:

E = (1 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(50 m) = 490 joules

Therefore, from one kilogram of falling water, we can obtain 490 joules of energy. To produce a megawatt of power (10e6 watts), we would need:

(10e6 watts)/(490 joules) = 20408.16327 kg's of water per second.

So, your answer was very close, it just needed some unit conversions to get the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the energy of falling water?

The energy of falling water, also known as hydropower or hydroelectric power, is the energy that is harnessed from the movement of water as it falls from a higher elevation to a lower elevation.

2. How is the energy of falling water converted into electricity?

The energy of falling water is converted into electricity through the use of a hydroelectric dam. The dam captures the kinetic energy of the falling water and converts it into mechanical energy, which is then used to turn a turbine. The turbine then spins a generator, which produces electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using the energy of falling water?

The energy of falling water is a renewable and clean source of energy. It does not produce any greenhouse gases or other air pollutants, making it an environmentally friendly option. It is also a reliable source of energy as it is not affected by weather conditions like wind or solar power.

4. What are the limitations of using the energy of falling water?

The main limitation of using the energy of falling water is the availability of suitable locations for hydropower plants. These locations need to have a significant amount of water flow and a significant elevation drop to be effective. Building dams and reservoirs can also have negative impacts on the environment and local ecosystems.

5. How does the energy of falling water compare to other energy sources?

The energy of falling water is considered to be one of the most efficient sources of renewable energy, with an average efficiency of 90%. This is higher than other renewable sources like wind and solar power. However, it is still not as widely used as fossil fuels, which have a higher energy density and are more easily accessible.