Energy Production through Stirling Engine?

kenobiobiwan66
TL;DR Summary
350K water being used for a Low Temp Striling Engine. How much power should I expect?
A Beta-Type Regular Low Temperature Striling Engine being used to produce mechanical energy, where hot water at 350K is being used as fuel. What power should one expect theoretically?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you post links to the reading you have been doing about this so far? What do you think is the right equation to use to do this calculation?

Also, is this question for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you post links to the reading you have been doing about this so far? What do you think is the right equation to use to do this calculation?

Also, is this question for schoolwork?
Thanks!

According to International Journal of Thermal Sciences, a Striling Engine set to work between 800K and 300K produced around 8.634W Power Output, with Thermal Efficiency of 7.5% (https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...text=The results show that γ,0.908 W and 1.8%).

I don't understand the mathematics behind calculating efficiency of complex engines yet, I am a freshman to engineering.

I was thinking to make a project which used the principles of Stirling Engine, so before practically designing the system, I am trying to find out the theoretical feasibility of the project.

Likes berkeman

1. How does a Stirling Engine produce energy?

A Stirling Engine produces energy through the conversion of heat into mechanical work. It works by using a temperature difference between two chambers, with one being heated and the other being cooled. This temperature difference causes the gas inside the engine to expand and contract, which in turn drives a piston and produces mechanical work.

2. What are the advantages of using a Stirling Engine for energy production?

One of the main advantages of using a Stirling Engine for energy production is its high efficiency. It can convert a large percentage of the heat into mechanical work, making it more efficient than other types of engines. Additionally, Stirling Engines can run on a variety of fuels, including solar energy, biomass, and waste heat, making it a versatile and environmentally friendly option.

3. What are the limitations of Stirling Engines for energy production?

One limitation of Stirling Engines is their slow start-up time. They require a significant temperature difference to start working, which can take some time to achieve. Additionally, Stirling Engines are not suitable for high power applications and are more commonly used for smaller-scale energy production.

4. Can Stirling Engines be used for both electricity generation and heating?

Yes, Stirling Engines can be used for both electricity generation and heating. They can be designed to produce electricity by connecting the piston to a generator, or they can be used for heating by connecting the piston to a pump that circulates a fluid through a heat exchanger.

5. Are there any ongoing developments in Stirling Engine technology for energy production?

Yes, there are ongoing developments in Stirling Engine technology for energy production. Researchers are continuously working on improving the efficiency and performance of Stirling Engines, as well as finding new applications for them. Some of the current developments include using Stirling Engines for combined heat and power systems, and integrating them with renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power.