Energy question, what are the quantities conserved?

In summary, the conversation includes a question about additional conservation laws and a numerical answer. It is mentioned that the equations for x and y motion do not involve each other, and the idea of conservation in x-motion is brought up. The conversation ends with the suggestion that energy may be a conserved quantity in both the x and y motion.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

15.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do the last part. What are the additional conservation laws? I don't think momentum is conserved because there is force acting on the particle. I don't think angular momentum is conserved too because there is a torque acting on the particle.
Here is the numerical answer:
16.png

Attachments

• 15.png
    15.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 670
  • 16.png
    16.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the equation for ##\ddot x## involves only ##x## (not ##y##). Similar comment for ##\ddot y##.

Imagine the x equation described a particle moving only along the x-axis. Anything conserved in this x-motion?

Likes Clara Chung
TSny said:
Note that the equation for ##\ddot x## involves only ##x## (not ##y##). Similar comment for ##\ddot y##.

Imagine the x equation described a particle moving only along the x-axis. Anything conserved in this x-motion?
Thank you, I think the energy along x and y-axis are conserved too. Then I can find the answer.

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the principle that states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This is also known as the law of conservation of energy.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps us to use our resources more efficiently and sustainably. It also reduces our carbon footprint and helps to combat climate change. By conserving energy, we can also save money on our energy bills.

3. How is energy conserved?

Energy can be conserved in various ways, such as using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, insulating buildings to reduce heating and cooling needs, and using renewable energy sources. It can also be conserved by using less energy in daily activities, such as taking shorter showers or using public transportation instead of driving.

4. What are the quantities conserved in energy conservation?

The quantities conserved in energy conservation are energy and mass. Energy is conserved because it cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Mass is also conserved because, in any energy transformation, the total mass of the system remains the same.

5. How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation benefits the environment in several ways. By reducing our energy consumption, we can decrease our carbon emissions, which contribute to climate change. It also helps to preserve natural resources and habitats, as well as reduce pollution and waste in the production and use of energy. Overall, energy conservation plays a crucial role in mitigating the negative impacts of human activities on the environment.