Energy required to get 1 kg of lead to a given temp from 0 K

• B
  • Thread starter Bruce Haawkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Lead
In summary, the concept of specific heat capacity can help determine how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a certain amount of lead by a given amount, starting from 0 Kelvin. It is not possible to calculate the energy needed for a single atom, as temperature is a statistical property of a large number of atoms.
Bruce Haawkins
<Moderator's note: Two threads merged. Please don't create multiple posts.>

can anybody tell me how do I work out how much energy it takes to get an atom of say lead to a given temprature from 0 kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Again, temperature is a statistical property of LARGE number of atoms, not one atom. So your question does not make sense, since "tempretature of an atom" does not make sense.

Likes bhobba
ok them how do I work out how much energy it takes to get 1 kg of lead to a given temprature from 0 kelvin

Can anny body please help me find a formula to work out how much energy it takes to get 1 kg of lead to a given temprature from 0 Kelvin

Bruce Hawkins I just saw you posted a thread about the exact same topic.

Bruce Haawkins said:
ok them how do I work out how much energy it takes to get 1 kg of lead to a given temprature from 0 kelvin
Are you familiar with the the idea of specific heat? If not, Google for "specific heat".

Bruce Haawkins said:
Can anny body please help me find a formula to work out how much energy it takes to get 1 kg of lead to a given temprature from 0 Kelvin

you have already asked this question in your other thread

@Nugatory already gave you a clue to go look up

but you didn't bother to respond

It is not a good thing to ask the same question in multiple threadsD

Likes YoungPhysicist

1. How is the energy required to heat 1 kg of lead calculated?

The energy required to heat a substance can be calculated using the specific heat capacity and the change in temperature. For lead, the specific heat capacity is 128 J/kg*K, so the energy required to heat 1 kg of lead to a given temperature can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How much energy is required to heat 1 kg of lead to a specific temperature?

The amount of energy required to heat 1 kg of lead to a specific temperature will depend on the specific heat capacity of lead and the change in temperature. Using the formula Q = mcΔT, the energy can be calculated.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of lead?

The specific heat capacity of lead is 128 J/kg*K. This means that 128 Joules of energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of lead by 1 Kelvin.

4. How does the energy required to heat lead compare to other substances?

The energy required to heat lead is relatively high compared to other substances. For example, the specific heat capacity of water is 4181 J/kg*K, which is over 30 times higher than lead. This means that it takes much more energy to heat water compared to lead.

5. Can the energy required to heat lead be reduced?

Yes, the energy required to heat lead can be reduced by using insulation to prevent heat loss. This will reduce the amount of energy needed to reach a specific temperature. Additionally, using a more efficient heating method, such as induction heating, can also reduce the energy required.