Energy Saving/High Efficiency Clothes Washers Are a Horrible Design/Concept

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary: I have no idea why balance is such a problem, but recently I had a specific need so I washed a new polo, 3 tshirts and a few assorted pairs of underwear and socks. It still went out of balance and failed/stopped.1. I have a GE washer which has a "deep fill" override button, which helps remedy the stupid not-enough-water design.2. I have no idea why balance is such a problem, but recently I had a specific need so I washed a new polo, 3 tshirts and a few assorted pairs of underwear and socks. It still went out of balance and failed/stopped. Ok, maybe an idea about it:
kyphysics
In the old days, you could load your washer drum up with clothes to near the top. Then, when you hit "large/heavy" load, the water would cover your clothes and get up to the top.

Nowadays, machines are designed to be energy efficient/high efficiency and supposedly don't need to use that much water and a "large/heavy" load only fills the water up to the half-way mark of the drum (AT MOST) or, in my uncle's house's case, about 25% of the drum height. I've stood and watched the machine try to clean the clothes (he has a clear see-through lid) and the water level never covered the clothing (about a mix of 10-12 garments of shirts/pants) and things came out soapy and not washed properly at the end.

It's so bad that you either have to wash 5 garments of clothing (MAXIMUM) at a time or add more water yourself after the machine fills up. But, adding more water seems to strain the suspension/shocks (is that the right term?) and have them get "loosened" over time so that now your machine will shake, rattle, and "walk" (literally move inches or even feet out of place when shaking on something like a spin cycle).

This can damage your floor boards and other things (if they "walk" too far, might even the hoses be detached?).

Instead of being energy saving, they are time wasting and even energy WASTING (having to do so many more loads).

These modern washers suck and are designed horribly.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
So, because your washer exhibits a particular behavior, every single such washer on the planet exhibits the same behavior? Right....

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters and BillTre
I have a high efficiency washing machine (my second actually) and I can load an entire overflowing basket without having any problems. No soapiness, no wobbling, nothing. Note that the water should never need to fill the entire drum. Even if you fill the drum all the way to the top with clothes they should lose their 'fluff' as they absorb water and compact somewhat.

If you're having these kinds of problems with your machines then I'd recommend shopping for a machine of a different brand. Also make sure you're buying a washing machine with a large enough internal volume to fit your washing needs.

Likes BillTre
Drakkith said:
I have a high efficiency washing machine (my second actually) and I can load an entire overflowing basket without having any problems. No soapiness, no wobbling, nothing. Note that the water should never need to fill the entire drum. Even if you fill the drum all the way to the top with clothes they should lose their 'fluff' as they absorb water and compact somewhat.

If you're having these kinds of problems with your machines then I'd recommend shopping for a machine of a different brand. Also make sure you're buying a washing machine with a large enough internal volume to fit your washing needs.
What brand/model do you have if you don't mind sharing. I have this:
https://www.geappliances.com/applia...asher-with-Stainless-Steel-Basket-GTW335ASNWW

If you click "Ratings & Reviews" + "Lowest to Highest," you can see MANY complaints of water not filling up and also the thing shaking/moving.

kyphysics said:
in my uncle's house's case, about 25% of the drum height. I've stood and watched the machine try to clean the clothes (he has a clear see-through lid) and the water level never covered the clothing (about a mix of 10-12 garments of shirts/pants) and things came out soapy and not washed properly at the end.
What does the manual for that clothes washer say about how best to load it? Surely you've read that manual, correct?

(and sorry to call you "Shirley") :smile:

Likes BillTre and Vanadium 50
kyphysics said:
you can see MANY complaints of water not filling up
So why did you buy it then?
And how does this mean other washers have the same problem?

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters and BillTre
kyphysics said:
These modern washers suck and are designed horribly.
Somewhere on PF there's an angry rant by me on this subject. A couple of points:

1. I have a GE washer which has a "deep fill" override button, which helps remedy the stupid not-enough-water design.

2. I have no idea why balance is such a problem, but recently I had a specific need so I washed a new polo, 3 tshirts and a few assorted pairs of underwear and socks. Literally a pound of clothes at most. It still went out of balance and failed/stopped. Ok, maybe an idea about it: due to the high spin rate and associated forces they've decided balance is so critical that there's no point in trying to deal with any balance imperfection no matter how small. The result though is that at least half of my laundry loads fail to finish due to balance problems. Ironically there's also a mode where the washer tries to correct the out of balance situation by doing a complete fill and additional rinse. It has never worked that I've noticed, but wastes both time and water.

All that said, what fill setting are you using? Looking at your link, the selector knob seems to nearly match the old style units and I would expect to fill all the way if you select "max". It doesn't? Also, I don't see it being claimed as a "high efficiency" washer. Mine is something like this one:
https://www.geappliances.com/applia...h-Sanitize-w-Oxi-and-FlexDispense-GTW720BSNWS

Note, mine is EnergyStar certified and yours is not.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
So, because your washer exhibits a particular behavior, every single such washer on the planet exhibits the same behavior? Right....
I know you have beef with the OP, but he didn't say "every single" and these are indeed known issues with many modern high efficiency washers. We've discussed them before here and consumer reviews/reports are flush with examples. Ironically they try to spin the bug as a feature; they use less water, which makes the washing less effective, which they mitigate by making it take longer, which they then advertise as being gentle, efficient and more effective. Example of the issue:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...and-cons-of-high-efficiency-washers/index.htm

Note: cleaning problems are well documented, balance problems less so. But I've seen many complaints and the difference between my old and new washers with no change in my washing habits is absolutely incredible. My mother confirms.
So why did you buy it then?
And how does this mean other washers have the same problem?
These comments are really unhelpful/overly aggressive/hostile. I also have a GE washer and I picked it specifically because while low water levels are the entire point of high efficiency washers, the one I bought lets me override that design flaw compromise. It's less bad than average on that score and I worked hard to find it.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy
russ_watters said:
OP, but he didn't say "every single"
No, but he did say "horrible design concept". That generalizes pretty far - every machine with the same design will have this problem, or will narrowly avoid it.

If the question was "this particular machine has this particular problem, what can I do?" we could maybe help him address it. If it's just a general rant based dn one daya point, there is little to do beyond rolling our virtual eyes.

This model has been on sale for about 8 years. If he bought it then, before the reviews, the follow-up is "jas this been happening for 8 years? Why didn't you complain when it was new?" If the answer is "it's just started", the follow-up is "why don't you have a repairman look at it?"

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
This model has been on sale for about 8 years. If he bought it then, before the reviews, the follow-up is "jas this been happening for 8 years? Why didn't you complain when it was new?" If the answer is "it's just started", the follow-up is "why don't you have a repairman look at it?"
Per my post, it's a feature not a bug. There's nothing to complain to the MFG or a repairman about. Complaints should be directed to the EPA.

No, but he did say "horrible design concept". That generalizes pretty far - every machine with the same design will have this problem, or will narrowly avoid it.
My annoyed response to your annoyed response took the wrong tack. My answer should have been: yes, it's an industry-wide, standard flawed design concept.

1. Why are energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers considered a horrible design/concept?

There are a few reasons why some people may consider energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers to be a poor design or concept. One reason is that they tend to have longer wash cycles, which can be frustrating for those who are used to traditional washers. Additionally, these washers often require special detergent and can be more expensive upfront.

2. Are energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers actually more energy efficient?

Yes, energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers are designed to use less water and less energy compared to traditional washers. This is achieved through various technologies such as sensors, low-water wash cycles, and more efficient motors. Overall, these washers can save a significant amount of energy and water over time.

3. Do energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers clean clothes as well as traditional washers?

Yes, energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers are designed to clean clothes just as well as traditional washers. In fact, some studies have shown that these washers can even clean clothes better due to their use of higher spin speeds and more advanced cleaning technologies.

4. Why do energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers require special detergent?

Energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers require special detergent because they use less water and have more efficient cleaning cycles. Traditional detergents can create excess suds in these washers, which can impact their performance. Special HE (high efficiency) detergents are designed to produce less suds and work better with these washers.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers?

While energy-saving/high efficiency clothes washers can save energy and water, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. As mentioned earlier, they can have longer wash cycles, which may be inconvenient for some users. Additionally, these washers can be more expensive upfront and may require more maintenance in the long run. However, the energy and cost savings over time may outweigh these potential drawbacks.