Energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand the mathematical derivation of the energy spectrum for a 1D chain of quantum oscillators from its Hamiltonian. They came across a source, but are unsure of how certain terms are derived. Another source is suggested, which may provide a clearer explanation. However, there is a discrepancy in the final Hamiltonian between the two sources, with one including Planck's constant and the other not. It is suggested to check the dimensional requirements to determine if the inclusion of Planck's constant is necessary.
SataSata
I am trying to derive the energy spectrum of a 1D chain of identical quantum oscillators from its Hamiltonian by Fourier transforming the position and momentum operator.

I came across this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon#Quantum_treatment
However, I am unsure of the mathematics. Specifically, ## \sum x_l x_{l+m} ## onwards.
I am unsure of how ## \sum x_l x_{l+m} ## and ## \sum p_l^2 ## is derived from the two Fourier transformed coordinates and how the potential energy term is expressed.

Can anybody explain or provide another source that is more clear in the math?

Physics news on Phys.org
SataSata said:
Can anybody explain or provide another source that is more clear in the math?

well i saw a very lucid treatment of your problem in the following-
<
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/...quantum.../MIT22_51F12_Ch9.pdf>
by P Cappellaro - ‎2011
i think it may help,thanks

Likes SataSata
drvrm said:
well i saw a very lucid treatment of your problem in the following-
<
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/...quantum.../MIT22_51F12_Ch9.pdf>
by P Cappellaro - ‎2011
i think it may help,thanks

Thank you for the help. However, in the notes you provided, the final Hamiltonian does not have a ##\hbar##, but in the wiki, there is a ##\hbar##. Is that a mistake or am I missing something here?

SataSata said:
the final Hamiltonian does not have a ℏℏ\hbar, but in the wiki, there is a ℏℏ\hbar. Is that a mistake or am I missing something here?

many a time physicists use such units as h bar=c=1 esp. in high energy physics but you may check whether the dimensional requirements need a hbar and if it is necessary you can always put in Planck's constant ...

Likes SataSata

1. What is the energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators?

The energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators refers to the distribution of energy levels within the system. It shows the possible values of energy that the system can have, and the probability of the system being in a particular energy state.

2. How is the energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators calculated?

The energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators is calculated using mathematical equations based on the principles of quantum mechanics. The Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, is used to calculate the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates of the system.

3. What is the significance of the energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators?

The energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators provides important information about the behavior and properties of the system. It helps in understanding the energy distribution, stability, and dynamics of the system, and is crucial in predicting its behavior under different conditions.

4. How does the number of oscillators in a chain affect the energy spectrum?

The number of oscillators in a chain directly affects the energy spectrum. As the number of oscillators increases, the number of energy levels also increases, resulting in a more complex energy spectrum. This can lead to changes in the system's behavior and properties.

5. Can the energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators be experimentally observed?

Yes, the energy spectrum of a chain of quantum oscillators can be experimentally observed using techniques such as spectroscopy. By measuring the energy levels of the system, the energy spectrum can be determined and compared with theoretical calculations to validate the results.