Energy, work, power and efficiency when throwing a ball upward

In summary: The efficiency is 100% because the ball is at rest at the top of its motion, so all the energy was transformed from kinetic to potential.
danielsmith123123
Homework Statement
A 1.0-kg ball thrown upward from 1.0 m above the ground with a speed of 10 m/s reaches a height of 4.5 m. What was the efficiency of this energy transformation?
Relevant Equations
Efficiency
I don't have an idea of where to start. I tried to do
Ein = 1/2 mv^2 ------ (1/2)(1)(10)^2 ----------- 50
but i don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
danielsmith123123 said:
Homework Statement:: A 1.0-kg ball thrown upward from 1.0 m above the ground with a speed of 10 m/s reaches a height of 4.5 m. What was the efficiency of this energy transformation?
Relevant Equations:: Efficiency

I don't have an idea of where to start. I tried to do
Ein = 1/2 mv^2 ------ (1/2)(1)(10)^2 ----------- 50
but i don't know where to go from here
"Efficiency" is not an equation.

How high would the ball rise if the energy transformation were 100% efficient? What about if the energy transformation were 50% efficient?

kuruman said:
"Efficiency" is not an equation.

How high would the ball rise if the energy transformation were 100% efficient? What about if the energy transformation were 50% efficient?
Mass: 1 kg Initial height: 1 m Final height : 4.5 m Initial velocity: 10 m/s, assumption that final velocity is 0m/s

E-in= mgh + 1/2 * mv^2. = 1 kg * 9.81 * 1 m + 1/2 * 1 kg * (10 m/s)^ 2 = 9.81 + 50 = 59.81 Joules

E-out= mgh = 1 kg * 9.81 * 4.5 m = 44.145 Joules.

44.145/59.81 * 100% = 73.8%

I reviewed this with my classmates and they said it is correct but the textbook says the answer is 69%

I think your book wants you to consider the zeroth level of gravitational potential energy to be at the height of 1m. It is because it asks for the efficiency of transformation of kinetic energy to potential energy, you shouldn't take the additional 9.81 potential energy as part of the input(or output) energy because it is not transformed from kinetic energy, it just exists there.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
I think your books wants you to consider the zeroth level of gravitational potential energy to be at the height of 1m. It is because it asks for the efficiency of transformation of kinetic energy to potential energy, you shouldn't take the additional 9.81 potential energy as part of the input energy because it is not transformed.
This really. If you are allowed to arbitrarily include energy that was already potential energy in the original energy, you can get any answer you want by selecting different zero levels.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the relationship between energy and work when throwing a ball upward?

Energy and work are closely related concepts. When throwing a ball upward, you are using your muscles to apply a force to the ball, which requires work. This work is then converted into kinetic energy as the ball gains speed while moving upward.

2. How does power play a role in throwing a ball upward?

Power is the rate at which work is done. When throwing a ball upward, the amount of power you use depends on how quickly you can apply force to the ball. The faster you can throw the ball, the more power you are using.

3. What is the efficiency of throwing a ball upward?

Efficiency is a measure of how well energy is converted into work. When throwing a ball upward, the efficiency depends on how much of the energy you put into throwing the ball is converted into the ball's kinetic energy. Factors such as air resistance and friction can affect the efficiency of throwing a ball upward.

4. How does the height of the throw affect the energy and work involved?

The height of the throw affects the energy and work involved in throwing a ball upward. The higher you throw the ball, the more work you have to do against gravity, and the more potential energy the ball gains. This means that more energy is required to throw the ball to a higher height.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect the energy, work, and power involved in throwing it upward?

The mass of the ball affects the energy, work, and power involved in throwing it upward. A heavier ball requires more work to be lifted to a certain height, and thus more energy and power are needed. This is why it may feel more difficult to throw a heavier ball upward compared to a lighter one.