Engine sizing (torque/power) question

In summary, the 1kg block attached to a 200mm long rod will rotate on the outer rim, connected to an electric motor. The power required to achieve 90rpm is hard to calculate, but it might be possible with a motor that is strong enough.
Sandor Hadas

Homework Statement

There is a 1 kg (52x52x52mm) square block attached to a 200 mm long (d = 8 mm, weight = 0.03 kg) rod what is connected to an electric motor. The setup is vertical and needs to achieve about 90 rpm. So, the 1 kg square block will circle on the outer rim, connected to the motor by the rod.
The question is how strong motor has to be bought. It would be great to see the complete calculation logic because then I could use it with different sizes.

Homework Equations

Maybe angular velocity calculations, friction loss calc, gravity calc, not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I am far from being able to do this calculation since coming from a non-physics are, it looks I am very underskilled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.
Sandor Hadas said:
I am far from being able to do this calculation since coming from a non-physics are, it looks I am very underskilled.
What class are you taking? Have you been going to lectures and reading your textbook? What other classes have you taken so far?

EDIT/ ADD -- Also, your Profile page says that you have a Master's degree. What field is your Master's degree in? Just curious. Thanks.
About
Education in Progress:
Not in school
Completed Educational Background:
Master's

Last edited:
The power required is hard to calculate because you need to know what resists the block spinning...air resistance? Friction in the bearings? Can you quantity these things?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What class are you taking? Have you been going to lectures and reading your textbook? What other classes have you taken so far?

EDIT/ ADD -- Also, your Profile page says that you have a Master's degree. What field is your Master's degree in? Just curious. Thanks.

Business Administration...

So, do you say there are no formulas to follow and I better go and buy multiple engines (stepper motors) and give those a trial and error test? That might work... No idea how to find friction, standard 6006 glass balls/nylon 66 bearing; air friction is at 200m above see, indoors.

Now I think about it 90rpm isn't very fast so you might be able to ignore air resistance. Other things might well dominate..

How fast do you need it to go from stationary to 90rpm?

I'm not quite clear on the orientation but if the 1kg mass is being raised and it's not counter balanced it might also need a certain minimum torque to overcome gravity. Normally on a balanced rotor gravity cancels out so this isn't an issue.

Does it have to do anything else? Hammer in nails? Drive a load? Make electricity ? Just spin?

Sandor Hadas said:
So, do you say there are no formulas to follow

Not yet but there might be if you give us a bit more info as above.

CWatters said:
How fast do you need it to go from stationary to 90rpm?

I'm not quite clear on the orientation but if the 1kg mass is being raised and it's not counter balanced it might also need a certain minimum torque to overcome gravity. Normally on a balanced rotor gravity cancels out so this isn't an issue.

Does it have to do anything else? Hammer in nails? Drive a load? Make electricity ? Just spin?

There is no hurry, it reaches the speed whenever it can. Lower consumption is better. My biggest worry is that the motor would break because of the weight - as the weight is relatively heavy on the end of a rod. So, I am really after how I choose a motor what is strong enough. I would like to make one or two turns with a horse looking thingy driven by arduino and a stepper motor, then have it staying for a while, then making two turns, pretty much for fun. Well, I looked after how to choose a motor strong enough but could not find, or maybe could not understand. :)

You may find it runs better if you balance it up with a second 1kg block mirroring the first, but maybe that interferes with the function you are after.

1. What is engine sizing and why is it important?

Engine sizing is the process of determining the appropriate size and power output for an engine based on the specific application and requirements. It is important because an engine that is too small will not be able to perform the necessary tasks, while an engine that is too large can be inefficient and costly.

2. How is engine torque different from engine power?

Engine torque is the rotational force produced by the engine, while engine power is the rate at which the engine can do work. Torque is typically measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm), while power is measured in horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW).

3. What factors influence engine sizing?

The factors that influence engine sizing include the intended use and load of the engine, the required speed and acceleration, the type of fuel and combustion system, and the physical constraints of the engine space.

4. How do I determine the appropriate engine size for my application?

The best way to determine the appropriate engine size is to consult with a professional engineer who can analyze the specific requirements of your application and recommend the most suitable engine based on their expertise and calculations.

5. Can I upgrade the engine size of my vehicle?

In most cases, it is possible to upgrade the engine size of a vehicle. However, it may require additional modifications to the vehicle's transmission, drivetrain, and other components to handle the increased power and torque. It is important to consult with a professional mechanic before making any engine upgrades.