Engine vs Motor Capacity: Find the Right Match for Your Genset

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of replacing an engine with a motor in a generator, and the importance of matching their capacities. The question also arises about the principles governing the use of a motor to generate electricity from a prime mover that is also powered by electricity. However, it is determined that this violates conservation of energy and it is suggested to use a more direct electrical conversion method instead.
RhondaDube
I was just thinking about replacing an engine with a motor in my genset but can't find the right match. It would be really great if someone can shed some light on the rationale btw. the two. How's the engines capacity rated and which motor capacity would be equivalent to a particular engine capacity? I hope the question's sounding pretty clear. I need to know the relation between an engine and a motor in terms of their capacities.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your engine has to run at a specific RPM (e.g. 3600 RPM) because the generator is a synchronous ac machine, we need to know that. We might be able to estimate the engine horsepower at that RPM if we knew the displacement, number of cylinders, etc., but the more detail the better. Does the engine have a nameplate?
What is the nameplate and rated capacity of the generator? Is it running something that requires a high starting torque?

I usually use the words "engine" and "motor" virtually interchangeably. So could you be a bit more specific, what kind of engine do you wish to replace and what type of motor do you wish to replace it with?

It's a diesel engine. And for the nameplate and the rating etc. gimme a day and I'l post more information. Is there some principle that governs that what capacity of a motor is a must to run a particular alternator to generate electricity? I mean if a diesel or gasoline driven engine is running an alternator to generate electricity from mechanical energy, a motor can be used as well, and that motor to be run by the electricity generated by the alternator rather than an external source.

I mean if a diesel or gasoline driven engine is running an alternator to generate electricity from mechanical energy, a motor can be used as well, and that motor to be run by the electricity generated by the alternator rather than an external source.

No that cannot work. Just forget it as it violates conservation of energy.

If you want to generate electricity from a prime mover that itself is powered by electricity then you are better off to use a more direct electrical conversion such as a transformer (if AC to AC is required) or a rectifier (if AC to DC is required) or a DC-DC converter etc, depending upon exactly what is your supply and what are your load electrical requirements.

Related to Engine vs Motor Capacity: Find the Right Match for Your Genset

What is the difference between engine and motor capacity when it comes to choosing a genset?

The main difference between engine and motor capacity is their power source. An engine uses fuel to generate power, while a motor uses electricity. In a genset, the engine is responsible for producing mechanical energy, which is then converted into electrical energy by the motor. So, the capacity of the engine refers to the amount of fuel it can burn and the power it can generate, while the capacity of the motor refers to the amount of electricity it can produce.

Why is it important to find the right match between engine and motor capacity for a genset?

Finding the right match between engine and motor capacity is crucial for the overall performance and efficiency of the genset. If the engine is too small for the motor, it will not be able to produce enough power to meet the demands, resulting in frequent breakdowns and reduced lifespan. On the other hand, if the engine is too large for the motor, it will consume more fuel than necessary, leading to higher operating costs.

How do you determine the appropriate engine and motor capacity for a genset?

The appropriate engine and motor capacity for a genset can be determined by considering the power requirements of the equipment or appliances that will be connected to it. This can be calculated by adding up the wattage of each device and factoring in their starting power and duty cycle. Additionally, factors such as altitude, temperature, and fuel availability should also be taken into account.

What are the consequences of mismatched engine and motor capacity in a genset?

If the engine and motor capacity are mismatched in a genset, it can result in various problems such as frequent breakdowns, reduced lifespan, and increased operating costs. It can also lead to inadequate power supply, causing damage to connected equipment and appliances. In extreme cases, it can even lead to safety hazards such as overheating and fires.

Can the engine and motor capacity of a genset be upgraded or changed?

Yes, the engine and motor capacity of a genset can be upgraded or changed, but it is not recommended unless absolutely necessary. Upgrading the capacity may require significant modifications and can be costly. It is best to carefully consider the power requirements and choose the appropriate capacity from the beginning to avoid any potential issues in the future.