Engineering Economics: Converting a NFW to an AEW (future worth)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of converting a net future worth of $72700 after 5 years at 10% interest to an annual equivalent worth for 20 years at 10% interest. The suggestion is to use the calculator for compounding interest to determine the value in 15 years. The main concern is if the net present worth can be converted into an annual equivalent worth. The solution proposed is to calculate the annual payout at 10% interest for 20 years so that all the principal is consumed. This is equivalent to an annuity of the original net present value at 10% interest for 20 years.
garr6120
given a net future worth of $72700 after 5 years at 10% interest is it possible to convert it to an annual equivalent worth that is 20 years at 10% interest?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you are asking what the value of $72700 will be in 15 years from that date simply google "calculate compounding interest".

I have $72700 worth of Future worth and I want to convert it in an annuity factor that is 20 years I have already found the compounded interest. I just want to know given Net present worth can I convert it into annual equivalent worth.

garr6120 said:
I have $72700 worth of Future worth and I want to convert it in an annuity factor that is 20 years I have already found the compounded interest. I just want to know given Net present worth can I convert it into annual equivalent worth.
Sure. If you have a net present value of X, what annual payout can you take at 10% interest so that at the end of 20 years, all the principal is consumed? This is the same as an annuity of X at 10% interest for 20 years of payments.

garr6120 said:
given a net future worth of $72700 after 5 years at 10% interest is it possible to convert it to an annual equivalent worth that is 20 years at 10% interest?
Is this a schoolwork question?

Likes mfb

1. What is engineering economics?

Engineering economics is a branch of economics that focuses on the application of economic principles and methods to analyze and evaluate engineering projects and systems. It involves using economic principles to make decisions about the design, development, and production of engineering projects.

2. What is a NFW and AEW in engineering economics?

NFW stands for net future worth, which is the present value of all future cash inflows minus the present value of all future cash outflows. AEW stands for annual equivalent worth, which is the uniform annual amount that is equivalent to the NFW over the project's life. In other words, it is the annual amount that would generate the same NFW if invested at a given interest rate.

3. Why is converting a NFW to an AEW important in engineering economics?

Converting a NFW to an AEW is important in engineering economics because it allows for easier comparison and evaluation of projects with different cash flow patterns and timeframes. It also helps in decision-making by providing a uniform measure of project profitability and cost.

4. How do you convert a NFW to an AEW?

To convert a NFW to an AEW, you can use the annual equivalent formula, which is A = NFW * (i/1-(1+i)^-n), where A is the annual equivalent worth, NFW is the net future worth, i is the interest rate, and n is the number of years. Alternatively, you can use tables or software programs specifically designed for engineering economics calculations.

5. What are some limitations of using AEW in engineering economics?

One limitation of using AEW is that it assumes a constant interest rate and cash flow over the project's life, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account factors such as inflation, taxes, and other external factors that may affect the project's profitability. Additionally, the AEW method does not consider the time value of money and may not accurately reflect the project's actual worth. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other economic evaluation methods for a more comprehensive analysis.