Engineering Interview. Answers from engineers appreciated.

In summary, the conversation involved a high school student interested in pursuing a career in engineering, who was seeking information from a professional in the field. They asked questions about the engineering field, job duties, work schedule, educational background, and advice for pursuing a similar career path. Optional information such as name, degree, employment, and email address was also requested.
Zunori
Hi. I'm a high school student currently and I am interested in taking a look into the engineering field. I am taking an engineering/mathematics class at the moment, and one of our assignments is to interview a professional in the field to get to know more about how the career path is.
I just have some general questions about how everything goes. I don't need essays, but moderate detail would be appreciated to help me get more insight.
  • Please describe your engineering field.
  • What is your current job title?
  • Please describe your particular job and duties.
  • What is your average work schedule?
  • Starting with high school, please describe your educational background chronologically.
  • If you had it to do over, related to your career or education, would you do anything differently?
  • What advice would you give to me as someone interested in pursuing a career path similar to yours?
And some optional information about your background in the field would be appreciated.
such as...
  • Name
  • Specific degree
  • Place of employment
  • Email address
Thank you for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Zunori said:
Hi. I'm a high school student currently and I am interested in taking a look into the engineering field. I am taking an engineering/mathematics class at the moment, and one of our assignments is to interview a professional in the field to get to know more about how the career path is.
I just have some general questions about how everything goes. I don't need essays, but moderate detail would be appreciated to help me get more insight.
  • Please describe your engineering field.
  • What is your current job title?
  • Please describe your particular job and duties.
  • What is your average work schedule?
  • Starting with high school, please describe your educational background chronologically.
  • If you had it to do over, related to your career or education, would you do anything differently?
  • What advice would you give to me as someone interested in pursuing a career path similar to yours?
And some optional information about your background in the field would be appreciated.
such as...
  • Name
  • Specific degree
  • Place of employment
  • Email address
Thank you for your time!
For privacy an anti-phishing reasons, interview threads are not allowed at the PF.

1. What is the most challenging aspect of being an engineer?

The most challenging aspect of being an engineer is constantly having to stay updated with new technologies and techniques in order to solve complex problems and improve existing systems.

2. How do you handle unexpected setbacks or challenges in a project?

As an engineer, I have learned to always have a contingency plan in case of unexpected setbacks. I also prioritize clear communication and collaboration with my team to find solutions and adapt to any challenges that arise.

3. Can you explain a successful project you have worked on in the past?

One successful project I worked on was the design and implementation of a new water filtration system in a rural community. We had to consider various factors such as budget, resources, and environmental impact, and we were able to successfully deliver a sustainable solution that greatly improved the quality of water for the community.

4. How do you stay updated with new advancements in your field?

I regularly attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to my field to stay updated with new advancements. I also make sure to read research papers and articles to keep myself informed and continuously learn from my colleagues.

5. What skills do you think are most important for an engineer to possess?

In addition to technical skills, I believe that communication, problem-solving, and adaptability are crucial skills for an engineer. Being able to effectively communicate with team members and clients, think critically to solve complex problems, and adapt to changing situations are essential for success in this field.