Engineering Physics: Job Market and Career Overview

In summary, Engineering physics can be a challenging field as it is often misunderstood by both engineers and physicists. This can make it difficult to find jobs, especially in non-ABET accredited programs. However, once employed, engineering physicists have the unique ability to bridge the gap between different types of engineers and can impress their bosses with their skills. For example, in a project involving both mechanical and electrical engineering, a physics engineer may be chosen to bridge the two disciplines due to their understanding of both.
Abtinnn
Is engineering physics a good field? I've heard a lot that they find it hard to find jobs because engineers think of them as physicists and physicists think of them as engineers.
How is the job market? What does an engineering physicist actually do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it we're not talking Princeton Engineering Physics.

Reputation matters, especially if it's not an ABET accredited program.

Dr. Courtney said:
I take it we're not talking Princeton Engineering Physics.

Reputation matters, especially if it's not an ABET accredited program.

What about Canadian schools such as U of T?

Hi, I'm a student studying Engineering Physics in Indonesia for a bachelors degree
from what I heard so far, It's hard to find a company who want's to hire a physics engineer since most of the recruitors are psychologist and they do not understand what physics engineer do. but once you get a job, It is easy to impress your boss and get a promotion, since you can bridge between other engineers.

for example,

one of my university project is making a solar car, the job is dominated by mechanical engineer, but they do need an electrician to be able to use the car, but they never choose an electrical engineer, they use physics engineer to do their job, since physics engineer can correlate between mechanical engineer and electrical engineer

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of physics that combines principles of both engineering and physics to solve real-world problems. It involves the application of physics concepts and theories to develop new technologies, processes, and materials.

2. What are the job prospects for engineering physics graduates?

Engineering physics graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and electronics. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and teaching.

3. What skills and qualifications do I need to pursue a career in engineering physics?

To pursue a career in engineering physics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. You will also need to have critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. A degree in engineering physics or a related field is typically required for entry-level positions.

4. Can engineering physics graduates work as engineers or physicists?

Yes, engineering physics graduates can work as engineers or physicists. They have the technical knowledge and skills to work in both fields and often bridge the gap between the two disciplines. However, they may need to obtain additional qualifications or certifications to work in specific engineering or physics roles.

5. What is the salary range for engineering physics professionals?

The salary range for engineering physics professionals can vary depending on their job role, industry, and level of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $129,390 in May 2020, while the median annual wage for engineers was $94,500 in May 2020.