English equivalents of German (pub. Springer) textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses textbooks for theoretical and experimental physics commonly used in German universities. The Nolting and Demtroeder books are considered the standard for undergraduate level, but are more rigorous than English language textbooks like "University Physics" by Zemansky and Freedman. The Greiner books, which are translated to English, are recommended as a similar option. However, the conversation also mentions a recent German textbook by M. Bartelmann et al. which covers a wide range of topics in theoretical physics and is available as an ebook. The conversation also briefly mentions other authors such as Torsten Fließbach and their textbooks on General Relativity.
sunrah
Hi,
anyone who studied in Germany will be familiar with the theoretical and experimental physics books written by Nolting and Demtroeder respectively. These books are really the standard at undergraduate level but are much more rigorous and detailed than a lot of English language textbooks, e.g. Zemansky and Freedman's "University Physics" which my current university recommends to its undergrads. So are there any similar books in English to "Grundkurs Theoretische Physik" and "Experimentalphysik". Thank you for your replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Greiner books are translated to English (also in the Springer Verlag). They are pretty similar in spirit, but I'd never ever recommend the Nolting series ;-)). The best very recent German textbook for theory is

M. Bartelmann et al., Theoretische Physik, Springer (2015)

It covers the entire European Bachelor stuff: (classical mechanics including special relativity, classical electrodynamics including special relativity, quantum mechanics (non-relativistic), thermodynamics and statistics (including quantum statistics)

The only drawback is that it is all in one volume and is quite heavy. It's also available as an ebook, which is much easier to carry around :-).

I only hope that the authors take the effort to write also further books on the master level (relativistic QFT, non-equilibrium/kinetic theory can only become great with these authors!).

Thanks. I did like Nolting a lot, he was my go to series. I remember Greiner but I never used him much, perhaps my loss :-) The English versions look good though.

vanhees71 said:
The Greiner books are translated to English (also in the Springer Verlag). They are pretty similar in spirit, but I'd never ever recommend the Nolting series ;-)).
Could you please provide a link? I can't find them. Is Nolting also trans. to english?

Anama Skout said:
Could you please provide a link? I can't find them. Is Nolting also trans. to english?
Nolting is not available in English - just German!

Likes Anama Skout
If you don't mind me barging into the thread.
vanhees71 said:
The best very recent German textbook for theory is

M. Bartelmann et al., Theoretische Physik, Springer (2015)
@vanhees71 -- what can you say about the series of books by Torsten Fließbach?

Last edited by a moderator:
These are also very nice. I also like his textbook on General Relativity.

1. What is the purpose of finding English equivalents of German textbooks?

The purpose of finding English equivalents of German textbooks is to make the information and knowledge contained in these textbooks more accessible to a wider audience. It allows non-German speakers to access and understand the material without needing to know the German language.

2. How are English equivalents of German textbooks created?

English equivalents of German textbooks are created through a process called translation, where the text is converted from German to English while preserving the original meaning and context. This is typically done by a professional translator or translation software.

3. Are all German textbooks able to be translated into English equivalents?

No, not all German textbooks can be translated into English equivalents. Some textbooks may contain specialized or technical language that does not have an exact equivalent in English, making it difficult to accurately translate. In these cases, the translation may not fully capture the intended meaning of the original text.

4. Are there any differences between the original German textbook and its English equivalent?

Yes, there may be some differences between the original German textbook and its English equivalent. Translating from one language to another can sometimes result in changes to the wording or structure of the text. However, the overall content and information should remain the same.

5. Are English equivalents of German textbooks as comprehensive as the original text?

In most cases, yes, English equivalents of German textbooks are just as comprehensive as the original text. However, as with any translation, there may be slight differences in the wording or structure of the text that could potentially affect the level of detail or depth of explanation in certain areas. It is important to carefully review and compare the original and translated texts to ensure all important information is captured.