Good German textbooks with English translation

In summary, if you want to learn German to read classic papers written in German, I think it's best to find a good, classic German book and compare it with its English translation. The best German books in maths or physics, according to the expert, are Sommerfeld's "Lectures on theoretical physics" (6vols.), Landau and Lifshitz's "Lectures on mathematical physics" (4vols.), and a bilingual edition of the Feynman lectures in English and German side by side.
tiger2012
I want to learn German to read those old classic papers written in German.

I think the best way is to find a good, classic German book and compare it with its English translation.

I believe in this way I can pick up German quickly.

So, could anyone recommend some good German books in maths or physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
tiger2012 said:
I want to learn German to read those old classic papers written in German.

I think the best way is to find a good, classic German book and compare it with its English translation.

I believe in this way I can pick up German quickly.

So, could anyone recommend some good German books in maths or physics?
You know, that this includes two translations, not just one? The way those old papers were written is dramatically different from how they are formulated today. I recently looked into the two original German papers of Emmy Noether's theorem and then in a modern English textbook. If I had told you it were two different subjects, you would have probably believed it. Another example (to me) was Einstein's GR paper from 1916 or Galois' original paper. Whereas Einstein looked at least familiar, although full of written text and not so much formulas, Galois' theory was hardly recognizable. I wonder if you shouldn't take an ordinary novel instead. The more as it will likely be mainly in a one-to-one translation and I doubt, that those original papers you referred to have been translated in a similar way.

Einstein's (as of the other old masters like Planck, Hertz, Helmholtz, Pauli,...) papers are just marvelous prose. I don't think that you can find many better written physics papers in German at all.

Sommerfeld's "Lectures on theoretical physics" (6vols.) are master pieces, and the English translation is very much the same as the German original. The same holds for Landau and Lifshitz. What might be very helpful is a bilungual edition of the Feynman lectures in English and German side by side. I'm not sure whether this is still in print.

Likes tiger2012

1. What are some recommended German textbooks with English translations?

Some popular German textbooks with English translations include "Deutsch Aktuell" by Wolfgang S. Kraft and Margaret T. Gonglewski, "Komm mit!" by Holt, Rinehart and Winston, and "Schaum's Outline of German Grammar" by Elke Gschossmann-Hendershot and Lois Feuerle.

2. Are there any online resources for German textbooks with English translations?

Yes, there are many online resources for German textbooks with English translations. Some options include "GermanPod101" and "Duolingo". These resources offer a variety of interactive exercises and lessons to help improve German language skills.

3. Are there any free options for German textbooks with English translations?

Yes, there are some free options for German textbooks with English translations. "Open Textbook Library" and "Project Gutenberg" offer free downloadable textbooks and e-books, respectively, with English translations of German texts.

4. How do I know if a German textbook with English translation is reputable?

To ensure the credibility of a German textbook with English translation, check for reviews and ratings from other users. You can also look into the credentials and background of the author or publisher to determine their expertise in the subject.

5. Are there any specific features I should look for in a good German textbook with English translation?

A good German textbook with English translation should have clear and concise explanations, a variety of exercises and activities for practice, and audio components for listening and pronunciation practice. It should also have a comprehensive vocabulary and grammar section, as well as cultural insights and tips for language learners.