Entanglement and Teleportation

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of entanglement and teleportation in quantum physics. The speaker, a high school student, has a basic understanding of these concepts and is curious about how teleportation works and why it is not possible on a large scale. Several sources, including a comic and Wikipedia, are mentioned as places to learn more about quantum teleportation.
Nienstien
Ok, so I'm merely a high school student but I have a fair amount of physics and (non-mathematical) quantum physics down. My question has to do with entanglement and teleportation. I have a fairly low understanding of entanglement however I have heard news of teleporting being done (on a small scale of course). I would like to know how this works and/or why it doesn't.

Couple of the places I see this:
http://calitreview.com/51
http://curiosity.discovery.com/topic/quantum-physics/10-ways-quantum-physics-will-change-world9.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Entanglement and Teleportation

1. What is entanglement and how does it work?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in a way that their states are dependent on each other, even when they are separated by large distances. This means that if a change is made to one particle, it will instantly affect the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How is entanglement used in teleportation?

In teleportation, entangled particles are used to transfer the quantum state of one particle to another, without physically moving the particle itself. This is done by entangling two particles, separating them, and then making measurements on one particle to determine the state of the other.

3. Can entanglement and teleportation be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement and teleportation do not allow for faster-than-light communication. While changes made to one particle in an entangled pair will instantly affect the other particle, this does not violate the speed of light as no information is actually being transmitted between the particles.

4. Is it possible to entangle more than two particles?

Yes, it is possible to entangle multiple particles, creating what is known as a quantum network. This can be used for more complex forms of teleportation, such as teleporting the state of an entire quantum system.

5. What are the potential applications of entanglement and teleportation?

Entanglement and teleportation have potential applications in quantum computing, secure communication, and quantum cryptography. They could also potentially be used for long-distance communication and teleportation of objects in the future, though more research and development is needed in these areas.