Entering capital and small letters in La Tex

• Thread starter rb75
  • Start date
In summary, La Tex by default always displays the small letter in the form of a capital letter when writing equations if the letter is used in a different equation.
rb75
When writing equations in La Tex, if I a enter a capital letter to represent a variable in the first equation I write, if I use that same letter in small form when writing a different equation, after examining the equation in preview mode, La Tex by default always displays the small letter in the form of a capital letter and vice versa. Is there a way to prevent La tex from doing this when writing equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not how LaTeX works …

$$
E = mc^2
$$

$$
-1 = e^{i\pi}
$$

That's not what I see. I get this (both in preview and as posted)*:

## X=\frac{A}{a} ##

## y=\frac{2A}{aX} ##

## z=xa^2 ##

* Win 10 & Chrome

Last edited:
I wrote the following equations:
The first was written using hash tag delimiters, and the second equation was written using dollar sign delimiters .
Could you please let me know if these equations have displayed properly in this post.

This equation was written using hash tags delimiters ##a = GM/d^2##
This equation was written using dollar sign delimiters $$d = 1/2gt^2$$
Thanks.

Screenshot:
1660154414977.png

@rb75 If what you see is different from the screenshot posted above by Orodruin, please post a screenshot of what you are seeing so that we can understand the issue better.

Thanks for the reply.
The equations seem to be displayed properly.

When I view the equations in the my preview mode, the second equation is displayed improperly, the small letter g in the scond equation is displayed improperly in the form of a capital letter. Do you know if there's any way this can fixed so that the equation displays properly when I view it in my Preview mode?

rb75 said:
Do you know if there's any way this can fixed so that the equation displays properly when I view it in my Preview mode?
Since nobody seems to be able to reproduce this, I'd guess nobody has a solution for it either.

@Wrichic Basu
Hi thanks for the help.
I would be glad to post you a screenshot Wrichic Basu, if you could please explain how I would do it. I'm new to PF and am very incompetent using the features in this editor. I've already been scolded once for copying and pasting text.

I sometimes have issues with the preview, different from yours, I think. I can always fix mine by just refreshing the page.

rb75 said:
I would be glad to post you a screenshot Wrichic Basu, if you could please explain how I would do it.
Are you on your phone? If so , which kind?

If you are on a computer, what operating system version is it? If it's Win-10, you can use Windows-Shift-S to put it in Snapshot mode and drag the rectangle with your mouse to capture that screenshot.

What is the difference between capital and small letters in LaTex?

Capital letters in LaTex refer to uppercase letters, while small letters refer to lowercase letters. They are used to differentiate between different elements such as commands, text, and variables.

How do I enter capital letters in LaTex?

To enter capital letters in LaTex, simply type the letter in uppercase. For example, to enter the letter "A" in capital, type \textbf{A} in your document. This will produce a bold and uppercase "A" in your output.

How do I enter small letters in LaTex?

To enter small letters in LaTex, simply type the letter in lowercase. For example, to enter the letter "a" in small, type \textbf{a} in your document. This will produce a bold and lowercase "a" in your output.

Can I use both capital and small letters in the same command in LaTex?

Yes, you can use both capital and small letters in the same command in LaTex. For example, to enter the word "LaTex" in your document, you can type \LaTeX. This will produce the correct capitalization and spacing for the word "LaTex" in your output.

Are there any specific rules for using capital and small letters in LaTex?

Yes, there are some specific rules for using capital and small letters in LaTex. For example, commands in LaTex are case-sensitive, so make sure to use the correct capitalization when entering commands. Additionally, some packages and document classes may have their own rules for capitalization, so it's always best to check the documentation for any specific guidelines.