How Do You Calculate Enthalpy Using Steam Tables and Dryness Fraction?

• Thread starter sperrya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, the enthalpy of steam at 0.4 MPa and 0.7 dryness is 2,098.74 kj/kg. The formula for calculating enthalpy is hf + x (hg - hf), where x represents the dryness factor. In this case, x is equal to 0.7.
sperrya

Homework Statement

Find the enthalpy of steam at 0.4 MPa and 0.7 dryness

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At a pressure of 0.4MPa dry saturated steam has a total enthalpy of hg = 2,739 kj/kg.

∴ 0.7 kg of steam has an enthalpy of (0.7 x 2,739) = 1917.3 kj

The total heat of 0.3kg of water is 0.3hf (at 0.4MPa), so 0.3 x 604.8 = 181.44 kj

∴ Total heat for wet steam = 181.44 + 1917.3 kj/kg
= 2,098.74 kj/kg

This is my first time using steam tables so am struggling to know if I am gripping it or not. Any help you can offer in order for me to answer this question is VERY much appreciated.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your answer is correct.

Your method is correct but it might take a little longer to do if you are in an exam. (the same formula with less lines would be)

h = hf+ xhfg= hf+x(hg-hf)

(Your steam table might have values for hfg sometimes)

Formula is the same for specific entropy and specific volume in that

s=sf+xsfg

v = vf+xvfg

Thank you rock.freak667

Hi rock.freak667,

Sorry, can you just clarify how my calculations would fit into that equation?

I can follow it through but I am unsure what your X stands for? Can you clarify.

hf + x (hg - hf)

∴ 604.8 + x (2739-604.8)

∴ 604.8 + x (2134.2)

Can you clarify for me?

thanks a lot

sperrya said:
Hi rock.freak667,

Sorry, can you just clarify how my calculations would fit into that equation?

I can follow it through but I am unsure what your X stands for? Can you clarify.

hf + x (hg - hf)

∴ 604.8 + x (2739-604.8)

∴ 604.8 + x (2134.2)

Can you clarify for me?

thanks a lot

x = dryness = 70% = 0.7.

1. What is enthalpy and why is it important in scientific research?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of energy in a system. It is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the flow and transfer of energy in various processes, such as chemical reactions and phase changes.

2. What are steam tables and how are they used in scientific calculations?

Steam tables are reference tables that provide data on the properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. They are used in scientific calculations to determine the thermodynamic properties of water and steam, such as enthalpy, entropy, and specific volume.

3. How do I read a steam table and interpret the data?

To read a steam table, you need to know the temperature and pressure of the water or steam. Then, find the corresponding values on the table and use the data to calculate the desired properties. The table may also include additional information, such as specific volume and internal energy, which can be used in calculations.

4. Can steam tables be used for substances other than water?

Yes, steam tables are available for many other substances, including gases and liquids. However, the data and calculations may differ depending on the properties of the substance, such as its molecular weight and specific heat capacity.

5. How accurate are steam tables and should I use them for precise calculations?

Steam tables provide accurate data for most practical applications. However, they are based on idealized assumptions and may not account for all factors that can affect the properties of water and steam. For precise calculations, it is best to use more advanced thermodynamic models and equations.