Entropy change for water in contact with a reservoir

In summary, the problem involves a 1 kg of water at 273 K being brought into contact with a heat reservoir at 373 K. The entropy change of the water, heat reservoir, and universe are all related to the specific heat of water, Cp, which is taken as a constant. The calculation of the entropy change of the reservoir is obtained by dividing the heat transferred by the reservoir temperature, while the entropy change of the water can be obtained by integrating the relevant equation.
Parzeevahl
Homework Statement
1 kg of water at 273 K is brought into contact with a heat reservoir at 373 K. When the water has reached 373 K, what is the entropy change of the water, of the heat reservoir, and of the universe?
Relevant Equations
dS=Cp*(dT/T)-nR*(dP/P)
dS=Cv*(dT/T)+nR*(dV/V)
Problem Statement: 1 kg of water at 273 K is brought into contact with a heat reservoir at 373 K. When the water has reached 373 K, what is the entropy change of the water, of the heat reservoir, and of the universe?
Relevant Equations: dS=Cp*(dT/T)-nR*(dP/P)
dS=Cv*(dT/T)+nR*(dV/V)

I am assuming that the question means the water is in a container or something, so its pressure and/or volume shouldn't change on heating. Then dP=dV=0.
Now, at 273 K and 373 K, the specific heat of water, Cp, is nearly the same, So, I take it as a constant = 4217 J/(kg.K).
So, dS=Cp*(dT/T)
I have dT=373K-273K=100K, T=373K.
Putting values, I get dS=1130 J/K.
But I'm confused whether this is the entropy change of the reservoir or the water. The answer given in the book says that it is the entropy change of the reservoir, but I can't understand why. Also, if this is the entropy change of the reservoir, when how do I calculate that of the water?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that it says dS, not ΔS - this is an infinitesimal change. As the temperature of the water is changing, to get ΔS you have to integrate dS over the temperature range.
Your calculation gives the entropy change of the reservoir (with the wrong sign) because the temperature of the reservoir doesn't change, so ΔSres = Qres/Tres, and Qres = -Qwater.

Hint: What exactly is heat reservoir?
For 2nd question ,try bringing water from the given state quasi-statically to final state.

Hello Parzeevahl, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Look up the specific entropy of water at 273 and at 373 and compare with your result.
What is the crucial difference in this process when you compare the container with the reservoir ?

Parzeevahl said:
Problem Statement: 1 kg of water at 273 K is brought into contact with a heat reservoir at 373 K. When the water has reached 373 K, what is the entropy change of the water, of the heat reservoir, and of the universe?
dS=Cv*(dT/T)+nR*(dV/V)

dS=Cv*(dT/T)+nR*(dV/V)
These equations are for an ideal gas, not for liquid water. And, even for that case, they are missing a factor of n in front of the heat capacities.
I am assuming that the question means the water is in a container or something, so its pressure and/or volume shouldn't change on heating. Then dP=dV=0.
Now, at 273 K and 373 K, the specific heat of water, Cp, is nearly the same, So, I take it as a constant = 4217 J/(kg.K).
So, dS=Cp*(dT/T)
I have dT=373K-273K=100K, T=373K.
Putting values, I get dS=1130 J/K.
This result was not obtained by integrating the equation. It was obtained by dividing the heat transferred by the reservoir temperature. That gives the entropy change of the reservoir, if corrected in sign, as pointed out by mjc123.

What do you get if you calculate the entropy change of the water by integrating the equation that you gave?

For a cookbook recipe on how to determine, in general, the entropy change of a system that experiences an irreversible process like this (including worked examples), please see my Physics Forums Insights article at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/grandpa-chets-entropy-recipe/

Likes BvU

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It represents the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a given system.

How does entropy change for water in contact with a reservoir?

When water is in contact with a reservoir, the entropy change is typically zero. This is because the reservoir acts as a constant temperature source, allowing the water to reach thermal equilibrium and minimizing any changes in its disorder.

What factors affect the entropy change for water in contact with a reservoir?

The main factor that affects the entropy change for water in contact with a reservoir is the temperature difference between the water and the reservoir. The greater the temperature difference, the greater the entropy change will be.

Why is entropy change important for understanding thermodynamics?

Entropy change is important because it is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, which studies the transfer and conversion of energy in various systems. It helps us understand the direction and efficiency of energy processes and plays a crucial role in determining the feasibility of certain reactions or processes.

How is the entropy change for water in contact with a reservoir calculated?

The entropy change for water in contact with a reservoir can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the absolute temperature. This equation is known as the Clausius inequality and is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics.