Entropy Change of an Expanding Gas

In summary, the gas undergoes a reversible isothermal expansion from 3.34E-2 m^3 to 4.80E-2 m^3, and the change in entropy is negative.
xinlan

Homework Statement

Two moles of an ideal gas undergo a reversible isothermal expansion from 3.34E-2 m^3 to 4.80E-2 m^3 at a temperature of 25.7C

What is the change in entropy (ΔS) of the gas?

Homework Equations

ΔS = Q/T

The Attempt at a Solution

first I think I need to calculate the work done by the gas.
and then Q = ΔEint - W
but I am confused.. because this formula requires pressure. and the pressure is not given.

pls.. help me..
thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
xinlan said:
Two moles of an ideal gas undergo a reversible isothermal expansion from 3.34E-2 m^3 to 4.80E-2 m^3 at a temperature of 25.7C

What is the change in entropy (delta_S) of the gas?

The thing to keep in mind here is that the expansion is isothermal, so there is no change in E_int; that means that Q = -W (W being the work done on the gas in this version of the First Law).

So you'll need to compute the work done on the gas in such an expansion. You need to integrate -P dV from V_initial to V_final to get W, then take the negative of that result to find Q. Since the gas will be at constant temperature, using the ideal gas law gives

P = nRT/V , with everything in the numerator being positive. So the integral should be pretty easy to do.

We want the change in entropy, though. Since the gas remains isothermal, we get to take a shortcut. We need to integrate

dS = dQ / T over the expansion.

Since in this situation, dQ = -dW = P dV = (nRT/V) dV , with T constant,
you can go directly to your entropy integral, with limits from V_initial to V_final. The statement of the problem gives you enough information to work out delta_S in J/K .

the delta_S should be in a negative value, right?
since Q = -W,
but when I type it, the feedback said that since the gas is expanding, the entropy will increase and it should be positive..

anyway..
thank you for your help.. :)

xinlan said:
the delta_S should be in a negative value, right?
since Q = -W,
but when I type it, the feedback said that since the gas is expanding, the entropy will increase and it should be positive..

...except that W is "work done on the gas" in the definition of the First Law that we're using. So W is negative in an expansion (work done by the gas is positive), making Q positive and thus delta_S as well.

(You should also have found that the temperature given in the problem is irrelevant.)

Related to Entropy Change of an Expanding Gas

1. What is the definition of entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the change in the distribution of energy and matter within a system.

2. How does an expanding gas affect entropy change?

When a gas expands, it takes up more space and its molecules become more spread out. This leads to an increase in disorder and randomness, resulting in an increase in entropy.

3. Is entropy change reversible?

No, entropy change is an irreversible process. This means that once a system experiences an increase in entropy, it cannot return to its original state without external intervention.

4. How is the entropy change of an expanding gas calculated?

The entropy change of an expanding gas can be calculated using the equation ΔS = nRln(V₂/V₁), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and V₂ and V₁ are the final and initial volumes, respectively.

5. How does temperature affect entropy change?

Temperature and entropy are directly related. As temperature increases, the disorder and randomness of a system also increases, leading to a higher entropy change. This is why gases at higher temperatures tend to have higher entropy changes when expanding.