Entropy due to this irreversible process

In summary, the solution is to use the equation dU=TdS-PdV and the fact that dV=0 to find that TdS=delta W_prop. Then, by using the relationship between heat transfer and entropy, we can calculate dS and find that the entropy generated due to irreversibilities is given by the equation mCln((T_i+W/mC)/T_i).
Simobartz
Homework Statement
There is an adiabatic container filled with water. The volume of the container is fixed and inside the continer there is a propeller electrically connected to the outside. If the work done by the propeller on the water is ##\delta W_{prop}##, what is the entropy generated due to irreversibilities?
Relevant Equations
$$dU=TdS-PdV$$
I think the solution is:
$$dU=\delta W_{prop}$$
$$dU=TdS-PdV$$
$$dV=0$$
then, $$TdS=\delta W_{prop}$$ and so $$dS=dU/T$$
and by the way, it correct to say that, if the transformation between the initial and the final state would happen in a reversible way then the heat transfer could be calculated as
$$dS=\delta Q_{rev} /T$$
$$\delta Q _{rev}=TdS$$
$$\delta Q_{rev}=\delta W_{prop}$$

Attachments

• tempImageE1vYAx.png
    tempImageE1vYAx.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
Simobartz said:
Homework Statement:: There is an adiabatic container filled with water. The volume of the container is fixed and inside the container there is a propeller electrically connected to the outside. If the work done by the propeller on the water is ##\delta W_{prop}##, what is the entropy generated due to irreversibilities?
Relevant Equations:: $$dU=TdS-PdV$$

I think the solution is:
$$dU=\delta W_{prop}$$
$$dU=TdS-PdV$$
$$dV=0$$
then, $$TdS=\delta W_{prop}$$ and so $$dS=dU/T$$
and by the way, it correct to say that, if the transformation between the initial and the final state would happen in a reversible way then the heat transfer could be calculated as
$$dS=\delta Q_{rev} /T$$
$$\delta Q _{rev}=TdS$$
$$\delta Q_{rev}=\delta W_{prop}$$
You have the right idea. Since entropy is a state function, entropy change does not depend on the process in going from the initial state to the final state. So it is a matter of finding a convenient reversible path from initial to final state and calculating ##\Delta S = \int_{i}^{f}\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}## along that path.

The equivalent reversible path would be heat flow into the water increasing internal energy by an amount equal to the work done.

Since W=Q=mC(Tf-Ti), [where m is the mass of the water and C is its specific heat capacity], ##T_f=T_i+W/mC## and ##dW = dQ = mCdT##.

##\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_i+W/mC}\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T} = \int_{T_i}^{T_i+W/mC}\frac{mCdT}{T} ##
So:
##\Delta S = mC\ln\left(\frac{T_i+W/mC}{T_i}\right)##

AM

Last edited:
Likes guv

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How does an irreversible process affect entropy?

An irreversible process increases the entropy of a system. This is because irreversible processes involve energy dissipation, which leads to an increase in disorder and randomness in the system.

3. Can entropy decrease in a closed system?

No, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system always increases or remains constant. This means that entropy cannot decrease in a closed system.

4. What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are related through the concept of free energy. Free energy is the amount of energy available to do work in a system, and it is inversely proportional to entropy. As the entropy of a system increases, the free energy decreases.

5. How is entropy calculated?

The change in entropy for a process can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred during the process, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.