Entropy: gas heated by resistor

In summary, the system equilibrium temperature is 431 K, and the internal energy and entropy changes are 982.1 and 3.14 J/K, respectively.
JMatt7

Homework Statement

A current ## I=0.2 A ## flows in a resistor ##R = 50 Ω## immersed in a rigid adiabatic vessel that contains ##n=3## moles of Helium. The initial temperature of the system is ##T_0 = 27 °C##. The resistor has a mass ## m = 10 g## and specific heat ## c = 0.2 (cal/K)/g ## and runs for ##t= 10 min##. Find:
  1. the internal energy change of He.
  2. the entropy change of He and the entropy change of the Universe.

Homework Equations

##P = i^2R##
##dS = \left( \frac {\delta Q} T \right)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I solved the problem, but I'm not completely sure of my reasoning, especially on the last question. Could you tell me what you think?

1) Helium is a noble gas, so I assumed it's an ideal gas. Therefore ## U = U(T) ##.
Since the volume is kept constant: ## ΔU = n c_V ΔT = n \frac 3 2 RΔT##. (Helium is monoatomic)
I calculated the temperature at equilibrium (##T_{eq}##) by knowing that the electrical energy is converted into heat that heats up both the resistor and the gas:
$$E_{in} = (mc + n c_v) (T_{eq} - T_0) $$
$$ I^2 R t + T_0 (mc + n c_v) = T_{eq} (mc + n c_v)$$
and hoping I converted all units accordingly:
$$T_{eq} = \frac {I^2 R t + T_0 (mc + n c_v)} {(mc + n c_v)} ≈ 431 K $$
Therefore: $$ΔU = n \frac 3 2 RΔT ≈ 4.89 kJ$$

2) Helium absorbs heat at constant volume, so ##TdS =\delta Q = nc_v dT##
So: $$ ΔS_{He} = \int_{T_0}^{T_{eq}} \frac {nc_v} T \, dT = n c_v \ln{\frac {T_{eq}} {T_0}} ≈13.5 J/K $$
As for the entropy change of the universe, I calculated the entropy change due to the heating of the resistor and added it to that of the gas:
$$ ΔS_R = \int_{T_0}^{T_{eq}} \frac {mc} T \, dT = mc \ln{\frac {T_{eq}} {T_0}} ≈3.02 J/K $$
$$ ΔS_{univ} = ΔS_{He} + ΔS_R ≈ 16.52 J/K$$

Since the energy flowing into the system comes only through electrical work, and the vessel is adiabatic, there are no other heat exchanges that could cause a change in entropy of the universe, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Your method and resoning look very good to me. However, I'm getting different numbers.

For example, you have
##T_{eq} = \frac {I^2 R t + T_0 (mc + n c_v)} {(mc + n c_v)} ≈ 431 K ##
The formula looks correct, but I don't get 431 K. Can you tell us what numerical values you have for ##mc## for the resistor and ##nc_v## for the He?

TSny said:
The formula looks correct, but I don't get 431 K. Can you tell us what numerical values you have for ##mc## for the resistor and ##nc_v## for the He?
Sure. I might have been a bit sloppy with numbers. So using the given data:
##mc = 10 g ~ 0.2~ \frac {cal} {K~g} = 2~ \frac {cal} K ##
##nc_v = 3~ mol~ \frac {3}{2}~ R = 3~mol~ \frac {3}{2}~ 1.987~ \frac {cal}{K ~mol} ≈ 8.94 \frac {cal} K##
Therefore, since ## 1 ~cal = 4.18 ~J##:
$$T_{eq} = \frac {6000 ~J + 300.15~ K (2+8.94)~ 4.18 \frac J K} {(2+8.94)~ 4.18 \frac J K} ≈ \frac {6000 ~J + 13727.5 ~J } {45.74 \frac J K} ≈ 431.3 K$$

OK. The problem appears to be with your calculation of ##I^2Rt##. Did you square the current?

TSny said:
OK. The problem appears to be with your calculation of ##I^2Rt##. Did you square the current?
Ahaha. Yes, you're right. Apparently I didn't. So ##I^2Rt = 1200 ~J## and therefore:
##T_{eq} ≈ 326.4~ K##
##ΔU ≈ 982.1 ~J##
##ΔS_{He} ≈ 3.14 ~J/K##
##ΔS_R ≈ 0.7 ~J/K##

OK. I get about 987 J for ΔUHe, but that's close to what you get.

Likes JMatt7

1. What is entropy in the context of a gas being heated by a resistor?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of a gas being heated by a resistor, it refers to the increase in disorder or randomness in the gas molecules as they gain energy from the resistor.

2. How does the entropy of a gas change as it is heated by a resistor?

The entropy of a gas will increase as it is heated by a resistor. This is because the gas molecules gain energy and move more randomly, increasing the disorder in the system.

3. Is there a relationship between temperature and entropy in this scenario?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between temperature and entropy. As the temperature of the gas increases, so does its entropy.

4. Can entropy be reversed in this situation?

No, in this scenario, entropy cannot be reversed. Entropy always increases in a closed system, and the process of heating a gas with a resistor is irreversible.

5. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to entropy in this scenario?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In the context of a gas being heated by a resistor, the increase in entropy is an example of this law in action.