Entropy of a Fermi dirac ideal gas

In summary, the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the level of disorder in the distribution of particles within the gas. It is directly proportional to the number of particles and inversely proportional to the volume of the gas. Temperature also plays a crucial role, as it affects the energy states available for the particles to occupy. According to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of a closed system, such as a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas, can never decrease.
Dassinia
Hello

Homework Statement

From the expression of the partition function of a fermi dirac ideal gas
ln(Z)=αN + ∑ ln(1+exp(-α-βEr))
show that
S= k ∑ [ <nr>ln(<nr>)+(1-<nr>)ln(1-<nr>)

Homework Equations

S=k( lnZ+β<E>)
<nr>=-1/β ∂ln(Z)/∂Er
<E>=-∂ln(Z)/∂β

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to start with
S=k( lnZ+β<E>)
But I don't know how we get to introduce the nr in that ?

Edit:
S=-dF/dT with F=-kTln(Z)
I wrote ln(Z) in terms of nr
ln(Z)=α ∑<nr>-∑ln(<nr>)
But I don't get to the result
I get at the end
S= kα∑<nr>-k∑ln(<nr>)+kα∑(1-<nr>)

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest moving this to the advanced physics forum.

1. What is the definition of entropy in a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas?

The entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas is a measure of the degree of disorder or randomness in the distribution of particles in the gas. It is a thermodynamic quantity that reflects the number of ways in which the particles can be arranged within the gas.

2. How is entropy related to the number of particles in a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas?

The entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas is directly proportional to the number of particles in the gas. As the number of particles increases, the number of ways in which they can be distributed also increases, resulting in a higher entropy.

3. What is the role of temperature in the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas. As the temperature increases, the particles in the gas gain more energy and are able to occupy higher energy states, resulting in a higher entropy. At absolute zero temperature, the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas is zero.

4. How does the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas change with volume?

The entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas is inversely proportional to the volume of the gas. As the volume increases, the number of available energy states for the particles to occupy also increases, resulting in a higher entropy.

5. Can the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas ever decrease?

In a closed system, the entropy of a Fermi-Dirac ideal gas can never decrease. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always either increase or remain constant over time.