Entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid as a function of temperature

In summary, the nuclei of atoms in a particular crystalline solid have spin one, with three possible quantum states labeled by the quantum number m = -1, 0, 1. Due to the ellipsoidal symmetry, the energy is the same for states m = -1 and m = 1, while it is 0 for state m = 0. The nuclear contribution to the average internal energy and entropy of the solid per mole can be calculated using the partition function and the Boltzmann distribution. To find the energy per mole as a function of temperature, the partition function must be solved for and multiplied by Avogadro's number. To find the entropy as a function of temperature, one can use the relation between entropy
NobodyMinus

Homework Statement

5. The nuclei of atoms in a certain crystalline solid have spin one. Each nucleus can be in anyone of three quantum states labeled by the quantum number m, where m = −1,0,1. This quant number measures the projection of the nuclear spin along a crystal axis of the solid. Due to the ellipsoidal symmetry, a nucleus has the same energyε for in the state m = −1 and the state m = 1, compared with an energy E = 0 in the state of m = 0.
(a) Find an expression as a function of T of the nuclear contribution to the average internal energy of the solid
per mol.
(b) Find an expression as a function of T of the nuclear contribution to the entropy of the solid per mol

Homework Equations

U=∑EiPi
Pi=[itex]e^{-Ei/kT}/Z[/itex]
Z=∑[itex]e^{-Ei/kT}[/itex]
Where the sums are over all available states

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a by using the first equation and solving for Z. I got

Z=[itex]1+2e^{-ε/kT}[/itex]
U=[itex]\frac{2ε}{2+e^{ε/kT}}[/itex]

To get the energy per mole as a function of temperature, I simply multiplied by Avagadro's number

[itex]\frac{U}{mol}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2εN_{A}}{2+e^{ε/kT}}[/itex]

From here, I get stuck trying to find entropy as a function of T. I'm not quite certain what to do. I've tried S=[itex]\int TdU[/itex] but it gives me a gruesome mess that can't be solved analytically by Mathematica. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to a mole of a crystalline solid?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the case of a mole of a crystalline solid, it refers to the distribution of atoms or molecules within the solid. As temperature increases, the entropy of a crystalline solid also increases due to the increased randomness of the particles.

2. How does the entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid change with temperature?

The entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid increases with temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the particles within the solid have more energy and are able to move around more, leading to a higher degree of disorder.

3. What is the relationship between entropy and the phase of a substance?

The entropy of a substance increases as it changes from a solid to a liquid to a gas. This is because the particles have more freedom of movement and therefore a higher degree of disorder in the liquid and gas phases compared to the solid phase.

4. Can the entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid go to zero?

No, the entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid cannot reach zero as there will always be some degree of randomness or disorder within the solid. However, it can approach zero at absolute zero temperature (0 Kelvin), where the particles have minimal movement and the solid is in its most ordered state.

5. How does the entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid compare to the entropy of other substances?

The entropy of a mole of a crystalline solid is typically lower than that of other substances, such as liquids or gases, at the same temperature. This is because the particles in a crystalline solid are more ordered and have less freedom of movement compared to particles in a liquid or gas, resulting in a lower degree of disorder and therefore a lower entropy.