Environment Dept. probes strange precipitation

In summary, the New Mexico Environment Department is investigating a strange occurrence of milky white rain that fell on Grant County on Monday. Samples are being sent to New Mexico Tech and the University of Texas El Paso for testing to determine the cause of this event. Some residents speculate it may be related to windstorms common in the area, while others suggest gypsum from White Sands as a possibility. This event has caught the attention of people outside of New Mexico as well.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SILVER CITY —The New Mexico Environment Department is looking into what caused a strange milky white rain to fall on Grant County Monday.

Area residents noticed the unusual rain as it left white puddles and a white, almost sticky residue everywhere.

"We're trying to determine what caused this event," said Marissa Stone, communication spokeswoman for the New Mexico Environment Department. "We are sending samples to New Mexico Tech and the University of Texas El Paso to be tested." [continued]
http://www.scsun-news.com/news/ci_7938886

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't hear about this and I live in New Mexico...hmmmm and that newspaper is even part of the same chain that mine is, so I'd think that it'd show up here. Anyways, my guess is something from windstorms (New Mexico=very very windy) Maybe gypsum for the White Sands.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the Environment Department's investigation into strange precipitation?

The Environment Department is responsible for monitoring and preserving the health of our natural environment. The investigation into strange precipitation aims to identify any potential factors or pollutants that may be contributing to abnormal weather patterns and to find solutions to mitigate their effects.

What types of precipitation are considered "strange" or unusual?

Strange precipitation can include any type of weather event that deviates from normal patterns, such as acid rain, black snow, or unusually colored or scented rain. It can also refer to extreme precipitation events, such as sudden and heavy downpours or hailstorms.

What methods does the Environment Department use to investigate strange precipitation?

The Environment Department uses a variety of methods to investigate strange precipitation, including collecting and analyzing samples of the precipitation, monitoring weather patterns and air quality, and conducting research on potential contributing factors such as pollution levels and climate change.

What are the potential risks associated with strange precipitation?

Strange precipitation can have a range of negative impacts on both the environment and human health. It can harm plant and animal life, damage crops and infrastructure, and contribute to the deterioration of air and water quality. It can also lead to respiratory problems and other health issues for humans.

What can individuals do to help address the issue of strange precipitation?

Individuals can help by reducing their own carbon footprint and reducing their use of pollutants that contribute to abnormal weather patterns. They can also support organizations and initiatives that promote sustainable practices and advocate for policies that protect the environment. Additionally, individuals can stay informed about the issue and spread awareness to others.

Back