Epicyclic gearing: 3 free axes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an epicyclic gearing with no fixed axis, but it is not commonly used. The speaker has two questions about this: if it is possible and what the ratio of reduction would be. The other person suggests considering all three rotations at once, which may be the reason why this mode is not used. They also mention the possibility of reducing rotational velocity without giving torque, but this would result in zero output power.
Cri85

Homework Statement

The teacher said it is possible to use an epicyclic gearing with no axis fixed but nobody use the gearing like that. I watched this video:

at time 42s it's possible to watch it. I have 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to used the epicycloidal train with no axis fixed ?

2) If yes, what is the ratio of reduction ? is it dependant of the torque ?

Maybe if you have a link ?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for this case, but each time the epicyclic gearing is used with one fixed axis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cri85 said:
1) Is it possible to used the epicycloidal train with no axis fixed ?
I don't see an argument against it.

Cri85 said:
2) If yes, what is the ratio of reduction ? is it dependant of the torque ?
You have to consider all three rotations at the same time. Things like a ratio of reduction that consider only two do not make sense any more. That's probably the reason they are not used in that mode.

mfb said:
Things like a ratio of reduction that consider only two do not make sense any more.
I can set the input to the sun gear and the output to the ring gear (planets are free to turn like they want) ? Why there is no a ratio ?

In this case, it's possible to reduce a rotational velocity without give a torque on the support ?

Cri85 said:
(planets are free to turn like they want) ?
Then your output will not get any torque (neglecting friction). The free axis will rotate with the right speed to give zero output power.

I can provide a response to the content provided.

1) Yes, it is possible to use an epicyclic gearing with no axis fixed. This is known as a "free axis" configuration. In this configuration, the gears are able to rotate freely around their respective axes, without any fixed point. However, as the teacher mentioned, this configuration is not commonly used in practical applications.

2) The ratio of reduction in a free axis epicyclic gearing is dependent on the number of teeth on each gear. This ratio can be calculated using the formula:

Ratio of reduction = (Number of teeth on sun gear + Number of teeth on planet gear) / Number of teeth on planet gear

This ratio is not directly dependent on the torque, but it can indirectly affect the torque due to the change in gear ratio.

I am unable to provide a specific link for this configuration, as it is not commonly used and may not have been extensively studied or documented. However, you may be able to find more information by searching for "free axis epicyclic gearing" or "free axis planetary gearing".

1. What is epicyclic gearing?

Epicyclic gearing, also known as planetary gearing, is a gear system that consists of one or more outer gears (called planet gears) that revolve around a central gear (called the sun gear). This system allows for multiple axes of rotation and is commonly used in transmissions and gearboxes.

2. How does epicyclic gearing work?

In epicyclic gearing, the planet gears rotate around the sun gear, which is fixed in place. The planet gears also rotate on their own axes, allowing for multiple axes of rotation. This system allows for different speeds and torque ratios depending on the relative sizes of the gears and their arrangement.

3. What are the advantages of using epicyclic gearing?

Epicyclic gearing offers several advantages, including high gear ratios, compact size, and the ability to handle high torque loads. It also allows for multiple axes of rotation, making it useful in many different applications, such as in vehicles, machinery, and robotics.

4. What are the applications of epicyclic gearing?

Epicyclic gearing is commonly used in transmissions and gearboxes in vehicles, such as cars and bicycles. It is also used in industrial machinery, robotics, and other mechanical systems that require high torque and multiple axes of rotation.

5. How is epicyclic gearing different from other gear systems?

Unlike other gear systems, epicyclic gearing allows for multiple axes of rotation, making it more versatile and efficient in certain applications. It also has a higher gear ratio and can handle higher torque loads. However, it may be more complex and expensive to manufacture compared to other gear systems.