Equality of functions and mods

• Thread starter Jim01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
So (x + 2)2 \equiv x2 + x + 1 (mod 3) and the two functions are equal. In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of two functions, f and g, from J3 to J3. The functions are defined as f(x) = (x2 + x + 1) mod 3 and g(x) = (x + 2)2 mod 3. The remainder on division by 3 is used to determine equality, and the two functions are found to be equal for all x in J3. Further explanation on modular arithmetic is provided.
Jim01

Homework Statement

Let J3 = {0, 1, 2}, and define functions f and g from J3 to J3 as follows: For all x in J3,

f(x) = (x2 + x + 1) mod 3 and g(x) = (x + 2)2 mod 3.

Does f = g?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The above is an example from the book. The section is called Equality of Functions. The procedure is given on how to solve the problem, but no explanation is given for what mod 3 means or what it is used for.

Here is the solution:

Yes, the table of values shows that f(x) = g(x) for all x in J3.

x x2 + x + 1 f(x) = (x2 + x + 1)mod 3

0 1 1 mod 3 = 1
1 3 3 mod 3 = 0
2 7 7 mod 3 = 1

(x + 2)2 g(x) = (x + 2)2

4 4 mod 3 = 1
9 9 mod 3 = 0
16 16 mod 3 = 1

I have poured through my elementary algebra, intermediate algebra, pre-calculus and calculus I books and can find no information on equality of functions. Is it called something else by other books? Would someone please explain this to me?

Edit: Sorry for the poor table. While it looks right when I make it, it does not format correctly when I post it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jim01! :smile:
Jim01 said:
… no explanation is given for what mod 3 means or what it is used for …

It means that they have the same remainder on division by 3.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic" for details. :wink:

but this addition table is completely wrong (and untrue):

0 1 1 mod 3 = 1
1 3 3 mod 3 = 0
2 7 7 mod 3 = 1

it should be:

0 0 1 mod 3 = 1
1 1 1 mod 3 = 0
4 2 1 mod 3 = 1

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Hi Jim01! :smile:

It means that they have the same remainder on division by 3.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic" for details. :wink:

Ahh. I see. They are using the word mod like it's used it in Java programming. I didn't see the connection. Thank you so much for the link. I will research it.

but this addition table is completely wrong (and untrue):

0 1 1 mod 3 = 1
1 3 3 mod 3 = 0
2 7 7 mod 3 = 1

it should be:

0 0 1 mod 3 = 1
1 1 1 mod 3 = 0
4 2 1 mod 3 = 1

Really? I double checked the book and that is what it has for that example solution. I assumed that the 0, 1, and 2 were being used in place of x. If that is the case then for x = 0, 02 + 0 + 1 = 1, for x = 1, 12 + 1 + 1 = 3, and for x = 2, 22 + 2 + 1 = 7.

I will investigate the link you gave.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably worthwhile to notice that (x + 2)2 = x2 + 4x + 4, and that 4 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 (mod 3).

1. What is the difference between functions and mods?

Functions and mods are both mathematical concepts used to describe relationships between variables. A function is a rule that assigns a unique output value for every input value. A mod, short for modulus, is a mathematical operation that returns the remainder when one number is divided by another. While both concepts involve input and output values, functions are more generalized and can take on various forms, while mods are a specific type of mathematical operation.

2. Can a function and a mod be equal?

No, a function and a mod cannot be equal because they are two different mathematical concepts. A function is a relationship between input and output values, while a mod is a mathematical operation. Therefore, they cannot be compared in terms of equality.

3. How are functions and mods related?

Functions and mods are related in that they both involve input and output values. However, they serve different purposes in mathematical equations. Functions are used to describe relationships between variables, while mods are used to calculate remainders in division problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of functions and mods?

Functions have many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and predict various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the behavior of markets, and the performance of systems. Mods are commonly used in computer programming and data encryption to ensure data integrity and security.

5. How do functions and mods contribute to the concept of equality?

Functions and mods both play a role in determining equality in mathematical equations. Functions can be compared for equality by checking if they have the same input and output values. Mods are often used in modular arithmetic, which is a type of mathematical system where numbers "wrap around" after a certain value, and this can be used to determine if two numbers are equal. Additionally, mods are commonly used in algorithms for checking if numbers are divisible by a certain value, which is another way of determining equality.